Chapter 31. A Sunrise on the Lake

31

1495,  Montefalco Italy

Catherine was freshly bathed. Her perfume and soap still had a strong scent, rose water and lavender. She was so close to me as she put the rogue on my lips, her deep brown eyes fixed on what she was doing. Catherine had to be the most beautiful woman in all of Italia. She had such soft features like an oil painting. Her hair, went it was out reached the back of her knees but I never saw it messy. She was only half ready for tonight's festivities. Her hair had been done right as she got out the bath. All she needed was her makeup and gown.
"Thank you Catherine." I spoke when she had finished with my lips. Her doe eyes fluttered.
"Enough with the thank you's" she tapped on my head. It's my pleasure." She smiled gleefully. Even without makeup on she was absolutely radiant. "Amara and I do this all the time when we are together." She took her thumb and wiped the corner of my mouth.
"Valentino's sister?" My head tilted.
"Yes!" She sat down the makeup and looked over my face. "She and I are as close as they come. I resent their father for taking her away from me."
"Do you get to see her often?" I asked.
"Not as much as I would like. Though I do get to see her her at least once a year as her husband throws a gala for the goddess Venus. So I make it if upmost importance to attend."
"Venus?" An interesting choice. She nodded.
"It is possibly one of the biggest events of the year! Nobles and royalty alike come from all over to attend. I mostly go to see Amara but that doesn't take away from how extravagant the festivities are." She grasp my hand in hers. "You should come!" Her hands felt softer than mine.
"What's so special about it?"
"The anonymity of it." She  snickered and it left me confused.
"You want to be anonymous?"
"It depends on what you do." She smirked and I was puzzled. She could see that on my face because she said "Its a party for Venus." She winked but still I was lost. "Sex." She laughed.
"Sex?" My eyes grew wide.
"Yes you naïve girl." She stood from her stool, giggling as she came around me. I looked in the mirror at how she had done my face. It was so much more than I was ever used to, it didn't seemed allowed. My cheeks were rosy, my lips red and my eyes brightened. She finished up with my hair, adding a band adorned with cranberries and purple lilies, making it look as if I had a halo. It matched well with my gown, a deep purple with red accents. "The event is all about anonymity. Though of us all know each other we just agree to keep our mouths shut, an unwritten rule. There are feast, gambling, games and prizes."
"It doesn't seem like my sort of event." I admit.
"You don't have to participate in anything you don't want to." She straightened the accessory on my head. "It is still a good time regardless. Think about it. Besides you should really meet Amara, you would get along so well." She sat down next to me and we gazed in the mirror together. "You look marvelous." She squealed. This is the most beautiful I have felt in a long time. Since coming here my hair for the most part has been worn loose, nothing too intricate. My clothes, though they were far better than when I first got here were still not as lavish as when I was in Rome. It looked like the me I was in the Vatican. The only difference was my makeup was far more extreme but it was a party after all. It felt strange to see again.
"Will you have time to ready yourself before the party starts?" I asked and she giggle.
"Goodness no." She pushed her brown hair back over her shoulders.
"I'm sorry, you spent so much time on me."
"So? I was never going to show up on time anyway." She waved her hand at me like she was brushing my worries away. "The idea is to wait for everyone to arrive then enter for all to see me." She shrugged with a smirk. "It is my day after all."
"Thank you again Catherine."
"Of course." She took my hand. "Like I said, I love doing this. Even if you don't attend the festival I would still have you visit France with me to see Amara."
"Really?" I was surprised.
"Yes!" She shouted. "Lena being around men is exhausting. I like to be friends with as many women as possible."
"I would like that, to be friends."
"We already are." She squeezed my hand in hers. It wasn't something I thought of until now but I didn't have many female friends and the ones that I did have were servants. I considered Gabrielle a friend but it wasn't clear if she felt the same or she was obligated to. There were a few girls who I received tutoring with when I was young but I haven't seen them in years. There was Lucrezia but now that she's married who knows when I would see her again. We will probably end up like Amara and Catherine, seeing each other maybe once a year. "You're staying right?" She let go of my hands and sat back in her chair. "I mean after the baby comes." She didn't know my plan and it wasn't clear how much Valentino has said.
"I'm not sure." I lowered my head and looked at my belly. "Frankly there hasn't been a plan since the beginning."
"Well we'd love to have you." Catherine was so radiant that I couldn't take my eyes off her.
"Are you allowed to do that?" I chuckled.
"What? Because this isn't my home I can't invite you to stay?" She laughed. "I like you a lot Lena, and Val likes you more." She winked.
"I don't know what you mean." I looked away. Thanks to the makeup it was easy to hide my blushing cheeks.
"Stop it, of course you do! Even you aren't that innocent." It was something I tried to ignore. "He's mad for you."
"That's not true." I shook my head.
"Okay." She shrugged and stood up. "Believe what you want." Her hand waved me off as she went to her bed. "I should start to ready myself." She stretched her arms over her head.
"Do you need help?" I asked. She was so nice to put me together least I could do would be to help her.
"No I'll be fine. You should head down though, I will see you there."
"I can't wait to see what you're wearing." I left quietly and I heard her humming as I left the room.