Chapter 2

I watched the redheaded woman walk away until I could no longer see her. It felt like I'd wandered onto a set of a play without even knowing why I'm there. My heart longed to go home. It started off as a dull pain within my chest, but it soon spread across my entire body. I was weak, sweat covered every inch of my skin and then - as if the universe itself wanted to kick my ass - my hands started trembling uncontrollably. Every part of me ached for any help to make this feeling of fear stop and I'd find any answer that could bring any sort of relief to be worth considering. The pain shouldn't be more than a tiny inconvenience to me - I've grown to live with constant pain - but right now it was far more than that. It was unbearable to the point it made me sick and I was fighting for every breath.
I'd spent years praying for something or someone to save me from my father and all these demons haunting me but when it finally happened, I wanted nothing more than to be back home - even if it meant spending the rest of my days in Gavaldon. You could say that I had nowhere to go back to and deep down I knew that myself, I just refused to acknowledge it.

The terror building up inside me was all too much to handle and for a split second, I considered giving in to the pain and giving up.
A quiet yelp escaped my mouth, part desperation, part determination. I could either keep going or give up. I was overwhelmed and so sick of dealing with all the mess by myself. I'd always been on my own. Forgotten. It's only when they needed a distraction or someone to torment, they'd notice me.

I took a deep breath and gathered my thoughts. All I knew was that staying here definitely wasn't an option so I decided to simply refuse to acknowledge the pain and get on with the day.
The woman I'd spoken to said something about the Headmaster wanting to talk to me. Well, that's a start. They wouldn't have chosen a fool to run this stupid little School which gave me a glimpse of hope that he'd be the one to finally hear me out.

If it wasn't for the circumstances, I'd be thrilled to have found myself in a place believed to be legendary.

"The School for Good and Evil, huh?" I said to myself, still struggling to wrap my head around this madness. "At least I'm-" yeah, no, I'm not saying it again. Of course I'm alive. Why wouldn't I be? It's not like I got kidnapped by a huge ass bird and brought into a fantasy world.
I couldn't quite figure out where to look for the dormitories so I just followed everyone else. They all were gathered in front of a huge, blackboard with lots of parchments on it. My head hurt from all this chatter but I gritted my teeth and waited patiently for all these teenagers to walk away so that I could look at the board myself.

I was utterly surprised to find my name on one of the parchments. What the-? Why would they list me, I'm not even supposed to be here. Yet it seemed like they'd been expecting me and if the letters had eyes, they'd be staring back at me at that very moment.

Cassandra Tremblay. Nevers' 1st dormitory. Room 36.

How the fuck am I supposed to know where the damn dormitory is?

Everyone went up to the stairs and then went their own ways, the hall became deserted.

"You're new too, right?" Someone said startling me. I turned around and saw a black-haired girl. She was around my height, though seemed a bit younger than me.

"Uh, yeah. I'm new. You?"

"Me too. I don't really know what I'm doing here," she looked down at her feet. "My parents sent me here but I didn't wanna come. I wanna be an Ever."  I could tell she was about to have a breakdown.

"You wanna be a what?" I asked, having no clue what she was talking about.

"An Ever. Like, a hero, not a villain." She explained.