Chapter 20

A knock on the door woke me up. I shot up and ran out of bed.

"Shit, I'm late for Animal Communication," I worried while looking at the clock. "And breakfast."

Soon enough, I heard someone knock once again.

"Coming!" I yelled but when I came to the door to open it, I realized it was locked.

"May I come in?" The nurse's voice was somewhat quiet and tired.

"Sure, if you have the key," I said and waited.

The elderly woman walked in with a tray full of food and two cups of what I assumed must've been tea.

"How are you, sweetie?" She asked and placed the tray on the table.

"I slept like a baby," I admitted with a smile. Though I didn't lie, in all honesty, I didn't really get much rest. Of course, I had no nightmares but it felt as if I'd slept for too long, and, on top of that, my sleep was very light the previous night.

"Any signs of a fever?" She continued and I shook my head.

"No. No, I don't think so. I'm fine, really."

She placed her palm directly on my forehead. "Good, good. Very good," I heard her mumble to herself. "Let me see the wound."

I reached my hand forward and she gently held it, unwrapping the bandage with caution.

"I'm going to need something else, it should've worked," she frowned in deep concentration.

"It's not like it'd heal overnight," I argued but she shook her head in disapproval.

"It should have. Does it hurt?"

"The less I think about it, the less it hurts," I said to reassure her but I think she didn't quite believe me.

"What happened to you yesterday was very dangerous, Cassie. When you learn what it was, you'll realize it yourself."

"Realize what, exactly?" I asked and wondered if she'd be the one to finally explain all of this to me.

"I can't tell you that, dear," she admitted with a sigh.

"Am I allowed to leave the room? I have classes today," I reminded her to change the topic.

"Not until Lady Lesso says otherwise."

"Are you really scared of a child? Surely a five-year-old couldn't cause much damage...?"

I hesitated when she pointed at my arm. "Are you sure about that?"

We talked for a while longer and then I was left alone yet again.

"Do not talk to anyone. Don't open the door if it's not me or-" she said before leaving.

"Or Lady Lesso, yeah, I know. I don't have the key, remember?" I groaned and watched her close the door.

I had no clue how long I'd be stuck in there, so I grabbed a random book and went back to bed. After what might've been around thirty minutes Fenrir started to roam around the room. I knew it meant he wanted to go outside.

Ever since the previous day, when he almost bit me, we weren't on our best terms. I didn't know if I could trust him anymore. Even though I suspected he just wanted to protect me, he still turned against me at some point and that'd never happened before. He's always been protective, almost possessive of me, he'd never snapped at me, yet this time, if I didn't move away, I could've lost a finger. Or a hand.

"I know, buddy. I know. Someone will come to get you in a bit," I promised while slowly sipping tea that was now cold and kind of disgusting.

Luckily, I wasn't wrong and I heard a knock on the door, followed by "It's me, may I come in?". I recognized the Dean's voice immediately.