Chapter 9

"I wanted to discuss our private lessons with you," Lady Lesso stated and watched me carefully. Her eyes stopped at my ribs for a bit too long and I held my breath praying she wouldn't ask whether Renn had hurt me or not. To my relief, she didn't. Not that I was worried I'd have to explain it to her, I knew she didn't give a damn. What is in the past is supposed to stay in the past, there's no reason to bring it up. It doesn't help. It doesn't make you forget. And it most certainly doesn't make you forgive.

She walked up to her desk and sat down. "We will be meeting in my office whenever you feel like you need help with schoolwork. It doesn't necessarily have to be every day, even though your schedule says otherwise. Make sure to inform me one day prior so that I'm able to arrange other classes with the rest of my students."

"Sure, professor Dovey has already told me that it doesn't have to be an everyday thing. Thank you. May I go now?" I said. My chest hurt more and more with every breath I took.

"There's one more thing. Since you are a Reader, you will need more time to discover how your magic works. You will not be attending your Special Talents classes and will be working on the material with me instead. Meaning you get one more free period a day during which you must stay in the library. You'll be coming to me at least twice a week to practice, including today," she went silent for a while. "You should eat more."

"Pardon me?" I asked taken aback by her remark.

"You haven't been eating much since you came here. I know the food isn't fancy but I'd call it edible," her eyes softened for a split second but soon returned to their normal, cold state and I wondered if I'd imagined it or not.

"Oh, yeah, it absolutely is. It's just that I've not been feeling well. Maybe it's food poisoning, I don't even know," I lied and started playing with my fingers.

"Go get it checked out. The nurse's office is right next to your dormitory. Now go and eat," the Dean advised and dismissed me. I was in such a hurry to leave that I forgot to ask her where exactly her office was so that I knew where to go after lunch. I figured I'd have to ask someone else. Renn probably already knew so I'd just talk to her about it.

The dining room was completely empty when I arrived and at first, I thought I was late. I looked at the clock and it said 3:05 pm which meant I got there in time. Just my luck. I didn't think much of it, I wasn't that hungry after all. I headed straight to the dormitory and I was greeted by Fenrir the second I stepped into my room.

"Hey, buddy! I know I've been gone for a long time," I petted him and put my bag on the bed. The pain in my ribs hasn't gone away and to add to my misery, I desperately needed a nap. I grabbed the schedule from my pocket and studied it.

5 pm - tutoring, L. Lesso

So one more class, I thought to myself with a sigh.

I went to check if Renn has come back but when I knocked on the door, no one answered, so I returned to my room and grabbed a leash.

"Wanna go for a walk, bud?" I asked Fenrir and he jumped around me excitedly. "Come one, you should be on a leash. We don't want to attract too much attention now, do we?"

It didn't take long to get to the lake. Like in the morning, I let him go and do whatever he pleased while I sat on the ground by a tree and watched the sky.

"Cassie," I gasped in surprise and turned around. No one was there. Fenrir sat next to me and leaned on my shoulder. I grabbed his paw and played with his fur. I felt homesick.

"Do you ever miss mom?" I asked him, though I knew he could never answer. I sighed and continued watching the landscape in front of me. My mom would've loved it here. Back when I was a kid, my dad would joke about me being a small version of her. We both loved nature and treated it with respect. We always had stray animals running around the house. My mom believed if you honored living creatures, they'd always find a way to return the favor. That's how we got Fenrir. She found him right outside Gavaldon, wounded. He never feared her as if he knew she would not hurt him. He was one of the very first animals she'd rescued.