Chapter 11

"Did you know Lesso has already sent one of her students to the doom room?" Renn asked while we walked to the main hall for supper.

"Oh, really?" I asked, curious. This woman was truly something else.

"Yeah, I feel so sorry for her," she sighed and Celia laughed.

"What's so funny?" Renn asked her.

"It's barely the first day of school and this chick has earned herself a torture session already, how is that not funny?" Celia stated and giggled once more.

"She's pretty traumatized, though. That's not funny. That's just plain wrong," cried Renn and, to be honest, I agreed with her. No bad behavior should lead to being tortured as a form of punishment. There are better ways. Like, I don't know, detention.

"What did she do to her, anyway?" Celia wondered.

"I've heard Lesso got a bit more creative this year. I don't know much but from what I've heard so far, she used to make students suffer physically. Now, she plays mind games with them, too. Like, she makes you see things that are not actually there and shit like that."

"You mean mind control? That's insane, no one can do that stuff," the other girl scoffed.

"She's pretty good at magic," I interrupted. The thought of her little show earlier that day made me shiver.

"Well, duh, she's a teacher after all," Renn shrugged. "And she's the Dean. It's not like they chose her simply because they liked her."

"Good point. It's just that the whole magic thing is still new to me. Sure, there were witches in the village but it's just a word people would say over and over again. Not that those who were called witches could in fact use magic."

"No way!" Celia exclaimed. "So you're saying, you all don't have any powers? Like, at all?"

"If by powers you mean being able to heal people by giving them potions, then yeah, we do. But I think it's just called being a doctor. Or a nurse," I explained and they looked at me. Both were shocked, almost frightened. "Are you saying you can cast spells from the day you learn how to speak?"

"Well, basically, yeah. It's like, your power grows the way you grow. The older you get, the more experienced you become-"

"But you can't use magic until you're in school," Renn interrupted.

"Exactly."

"So, it's genetic? Like, you inherit the ability to use magic the way your hair color depends on-"

"See, you're getting the hang of it!" Renn said happily, cutting me off the way she usually does.

What? "That's crazy."

"Anyways, remember what Sasha did today? She is one crazy bitch. Getting on Lesso's bad side on the first day? That's like a death wish," Rent ran her hand through her black hair distressed and both Celia and I nodded our heads in agreement. We split up for a few minutes shortly after and went to get whatever we wanted to eat.

I ended up getting a sandwich and a cup of tea, and I hoped it wouldn't upset my stomach. Lady Lesso was right, I haven't been eating properly, not that it's the first time I would skip a meal or two. Ever since mom died, my father never cared whether there was food at home or not, and even if there was, I guess I've taught myself not to eat too much. I've lost quite a bit of weight because of it.

"How did your last class go?" Renn questioned when we all sat down.

"It was-" I searched for the right word. "It was interesting. Lady Lesso showed me how magic works."