Cuddly as a Cactus

Mistletoe was relentless.

She had made Holly describe in vivid detail her date with Adam at least ten times, pausing at certain moments to swoon at how he was "so romantic," and "such a sweetheart."

The elf wasn't wrong. And if Holly had wanted to be in a relationship with him, she would have giggled along with Mistletoe, enjoying the chance to recount every moment.

But Mistletoe's enthusiasm just made her feel worse. Holly knew that she was lucky to have found Adam. And the fact that she wasn't over the moon about it made her feel guilty and like she didn't deserve him.

He was perfect.

Just not perfect for her.

"So what do you think is going to happen tonight?" Mistletoe asked. The two had decided to go for a walk in Central Park together before Holly got ready for Adam's family's ugly sweater dinner. Everyone else in the park was bundled up because of a particularly bitter wind, but it didn't bother Holly and Mistletoe in the slightest.

"I already told you," Holly responded as they walked past a street artist, singing despite the cold. "We're playing board games with his parents."

"I mean, do you think you're going to kiss him?" Mistletoe pried.

Holly paused for a moment, caught slightly off guard by the question. Her friend had given her a hard time when Holly told her about turning down his kiss, but she had hoped that had been the end of it.

"I don't know," Holly answered.

"I have no idea what you're waiting for, girl," Mistletoe replied, shaking her head.

"I have enough pressure from my parents and my stupid family legacy. I don't need it from you too," Holly snapped.

She turned after Mistletoe didn't respond, only to find the elf looking at her with eyes full of hurt.

"I'm sorry," Holly apologized immediately. "I'm just stressed."

"Do you not like him?"

Holly sighed. "What's not to like?"

"That doesn't answer my question," Mistletoe pointed out.

"I like him a lot," Holly answered honestly, as she kicked a rock off the path. "The chemistry is just kind of...dragging. So we're taking that part slow."

Mistletoe nodded thoughtfully. "Well, constantly feeling pressure is a pretty good way to kill chemistry. Did you consider that maybe the reason you aren't feeling it is because you're too focused on what you have to do?"

Mistletoe got distracted by a man breakdancing as Holly considered the elf's words. Could the problem be as simple as that? Maybe she was attracted to Adam, but her worries were blocking her ability to perceive it.

"If that's true, what do I do?" Holly asked Mistletoe after the man had finished and the assembled crowd had stopped clapping.

"Try to have fun tonight," Mistletoe answered. "Don't force it. Just let it happen."

Holly nodded. Maybe it was that simple.

She hoped it was that simple.

❄️❄️❄️

That night, Adam picked her up from her apartment and drove her out to Queens. Holly didn't know what to expect, but she hadn't imagined a cute, two-story brick house. She knew the Scotts had money, but to buy a house this nice in Queens, they must have had even more than she imagined.

A few lit-up reindeer adorned the front lawn and a wreath hung merrily on the door. She couldn't believe her luck: not only was Adam a complete sweetheart, he and his family were Christmas lovers.