THE CUP

chapter nine

"What are you?"

     Damien was in his bed reading and listening to music when Alec busted through his door, not even knocking first. He wasn't upset anymore with him, he just felt numb. He knew Alec only believed what he did because of his parents, but it still hurt. Damien closed his book and paused his music. "Clary thinks she knows where her mom hid the Mortal Cup," he said, breathing heavy from running up the stairs. "Izzy told me to come get you." Damien ran back down the stairs into the kitchen where Isabelle, Jace, Clary, and Hodge were. 

     "Clary, where do you think it is?" Hodge asked her as he and Alec stood at the table. 

     "My mom's painting," she explained. 

     "I thought the cup was in the hands of the Clave," Alec said. "How does this involve us?" Everyone had already put on their pajamas, as it was so late. More like early morning, as it was three in the morning. Hodge had started brewing a pot of coffee for them. 

     "It would be faster if we went and got it," Jace said. "Hodge already agreed." 

     "What about the Clave?" Alec asked, crossing his arms. "We have laws. We can't do anything without their approval."

     "Dorothea does not trust the Clave," Clary told him. "She wouldn't hand it over to them. But she does trust me." 

     "Your mom's friend?" Damien gathered, and Clary nodded. "Let's go get it then. Why are we still here?" 

     "I'm game too. Think of the glory if we bring the mortal cup to Idris!" Isabelle exclaimed. Damien rolled his eyes. He wasn't doing this for glory, he wanted to get the Cup out of the hands of Valentine's circle before they got to it. 

     "I don't want glory," Alec protested. "I don't want us to do anything stupid." 

     "In this case, Jace is right," Hodge said. Damien looked at Hodge, surprised. Normally, Hodge would do what he could to keep himself in the Clave's good graces, given his curse. But he understood why. "The Clave will take too long for a response, and it will be a disaster. Besides, Clary's mom wanted her to have it." 

     "Okay then, it's settled," Jace said. "We're going to need a car."

     "A car? Why do we need a car?" Damien asked. "We can just carry the Cup."

     "Ah, not so fast, my friend," Jace said. "We need to not be seen, and the Cup will be too large for us to carry back." All of a sudden, Damien got an idea.

     "Wait," he said, "Simon said that he was in a band, and his friend had a van. That's how he got to the institute. Could we borrow it?"

     Clary inhaled. "Possibly. Don't you know of any Shadowhunters who have cars?" 

     "In New York?" 

     "Good point. I'll call Simon." She didn't look too happy about it, and Damien wondered if something had happened. They seemed fine a few hours ago. Clary walked into another room to make the call. A few minutes later, Clary came back. "He'll be here as fast as he can." 

     "Good," Jace said. "We can get ready while we wait." Jace pulled out his Stele, gesturing for them all to do the same. 

     "Dami, come here, we can do each others," Isabelle said as Alec had already started Jace's. Parabatai's runes were always stronger, but it helped to also have someone else do them for you. When Isabelle had finished Damien's, he turned to draw on hers, taking out his own Stele.