HURT FEELINGS

chapter four

"You can't be jealous of Clary."

     Damien and Isabelle went to let Hodge know that Clary was awake and ready to talk to him. Somehow, he knew that she would find her way to his office in the library, whether it be Jace or Church who showed her the way. Church was the smartest cat Damien had ever seen, though he hadn't met many cats in his life. His father wasn't a huge animal lover, despite Damien always begging for a pet. The closest he ever got was a hamster. 

     Damien was leaning against the arm of a chair Alec had been sitting in, keeping small talk when Clary and Jace finally walked through the massive doors. Immediately, Damien noticed the pleasure Clary had gotten when she first laid her eyes on the wall of books, causing him to smile. 

     "You didn't tell me that she was a book lover, Jace," Hodge stated. Jace shrugged his shoulders. 

     "How did you know I love books?" Clary asked curiously, her eyes still trailing over the titles. 

     Hodge gave a slight, light-hearted chuckle. "From the look on your face when you stepped in the room. I assume that you and Damien will get along well, he has a bit of a soft spot for books, like Jace and music." A smile rose on Alec's face.

     "'A bit' is an understatement," he whispered into Damien's ear, who snorted loudly without meaning to. No one questioned what Alec had whispered to him, and Damien's smile grew even wider. There were times when Alec could be a bit hot-headed to others, though he was never like that to Damien. Damien's eyes fell onto Hugo, Hodge's bird, as he rose from his shoulder magnificently. Damien had an admiration for that bird since he had come to the Institute.  

     "This is Hugo," Hodge said, seeing the awe on Clary's face. "He's a raven, and, as such, knows many things. "My name is Hodge Starkweather, a professor of history, and, as such, I do not know nearly enough." Damien, being Hodge's student, knew that wasn't at all true, but he knew better than to interrupt as Clary introduced herself. "I'm impressed of how you killed a Ravener with your bare hands."

     "It wasn't with my bare hands," Clary protested humbly. "It was Jace's, well, I don't remember what it was called." Damien shrunk back in the chair.

     "She shoved my Sensor down its throat," Jace explained to Hodge. Damien, pleasantly surprised, gave a nod of approval towards Clary. he couldn't help but think of the fact that she wouldn't have been able to kill the demon and survive if she was a Mundane. It made him curious. 

     "That was quick thinking," Hodge told Clary. "What made you think of using the Sensor as a weapon?" 

     Damien's eyes turned towards Clary, though he felt Alec shift beside him with jealousy. "I can't believe you buy that story, Hodge," Alec stated. Damien whipped his head towards him, shocked by what he said. It wasn't like Alec at all to say something like that.

     "I'm not quite sure what you mean." The expression on Hodge's face miraculously stayed the same, though Damien was unable to hide his own shock. Clary, however, was as angry as she was dumbfounded by the comment. 

     "Of course she didn't kill that demon, she's a Mundie, and a little kid at that," Alex explained, though his reasoning was far off. 

     Damien let out a slight sigh through his nose. "Alec, you forget that we're only a year older than she is, and the rune would've killed her if she was a mundane," he argued, his muscles tensing.