INFORMATION

chapter five

"He's trying to raise an army."

     Nearly four hours later and after Damien almost wore himself out entirely after studying for Hodge's classes, Jace and Clary returned. He was notified by the front door of the Institute slamming shut, and, with a sigh, he knew he should probably check and make sure everything was alright, as after the last time Clary was found, she had been attacked by the Ravener, bleeding in the foyer.

     Damien sprinted down the stairs, not because he was in a rush, but because he simply enjoyed running up and down stairs. Half of his cardio training was doing stairs and running around the Institute. It gave him something new to look at, rather than just running circles.

     He found them in the kitchen, Izzy cooking up something for dinner, and, for once, it didn't smell wretched, although Damien sarcastically wrinkled his nose. He hadn't even noticed the stranger now currently standing in the room until his voice piped up, squeaking, "hi, I'm Simon!" taking Damien off-guard.

     Damien whirled his head around to see the mundane, and his eyes immediately darted to Jace, who shrugged. Why was Jace bringing in so many mundanes? He didn't know, and he wasn't sure Jace knew either. "Damien," he greeted to Simon, not wanting to be rude. There were a lot of Shadowhunters who thought that their race was superior to the human race, which Damien morally disagreed with.

     "I already yelled at Jace, so don't bother," Isabelle told Damien, who nodded his head.

     "Gotcha," Damien said. "Although, at this point, I'm not even surprised."

     "Hey," Jace protested sarcastically. "I can't help that I attract mundanes."

     "Hodge is going to kill you," Isabelle stated, waving the spoon that she was stirring her soup with.

     Damien sat down at the end of one of the long tables, Jace finally sitting down across from him. After finally examining the room, Damien noticed that Alec was nowhere to be seen, but it would be too obvious if Damien sat up to go look for him, so, he stayed put.

     "Izzy, I had to bring him," Jace explained. "I saw the men who killed mine and Damien's fathers." Damien's heart plummeted into his stomach.

     "You saw Blackwell?" he demanded, now speaking so fast he was hardly audible. "Where?"

     "Slow down, hot-sauce," Jace replied. "At Clary's mom's boyfriend's house."

     Izzy looked towards Simon. "I don't suppose he's one of them?"

     Both Damien and Jace shook their heads fiercely. "Of course not," Jace said. "Do you think he'd be alive now if he were?"

     Isabelle shrugged her shoulders. "I suppose not," she said simply.

     Damien wanted to ask more questions, but didn't allow himself to ask in front of Simon and Clary, who didn't know him whatsoever. Isabelle dropped a piece of fish on the floor as if it was second nature. Church happily pranced over to the dead fish, devouring it. Damien gagged as Jace said "No wonder he brought us here. I can't believe you've been stuffing him with fish again. He's looking distinctly podgy."