VALENTINE

chapter ten

As soon as they got to the van, they put Alec on as much padding as they could, using whatever blankets were strewn everywhere. Simon drove the van as fast as he possibly could without getting pulled over. Alec was unconscious now, his breathing shallow. Damien had tuned everyone out, only focused on Alec and his breathing and the searing pain in both his leg and head. He wished he could trade places with him right now. At least he was conscious. Damien was only woken out of his daze by a voice in his ear.

"Damien!" It was Jace, of course. Startled, Damien dropped Alec's hand.

"We're here," Jace continued. Snapping out of it, Damien pushed himself up, wincing.

"Can you please let me carry him?" Isabelle said to Damien. With a sigh, Damien nodded slightly, grateful. He limped up the steps of the Institute, Hodge meeting them at the door. Hodge rushed them to the Infirmary. Damien and Jace waited outside, not wanting to see Alec like this any more than they had to. Alec needed more attention than he did. Damien slid down the wall carefully as he couldn't put any more pressure on his leg. Jace put another Iratze on him, which gave him some relief from at least the headache.

"Thanks," Damien breathed, just as Hodge came out of the Infirmary doors.

"I'll have to call the Silent Brothers," Hodge said. Damien shuddered, but nodded. He would have to set his fear aside for Alec.

"How long will it take for them to get here?" Jace demanded.

"I don't know," Hodge admitted. "I'll send Hugo right away, but the Silent Brothers come at their own discretion." Damien scoffed.

"If they don't come now he might die," Damien said. Admitting it made his heart sink, but it was the truth.

"He might," Hodge admitted. He gestured for Clary to follow him to his office, and Jace followed as well. Not wanting to be left out, and hoping that Hodge could fix his leg, he followed them. Damien was slower than the others, but Jace at least had the kindness to help him by slinging one arm over his shoulder.

Jace set Damien down on the couch once they reached the library, but Hodge seemed to not notice him. The room was cold, as a window had been left open and it was pouring down rain. Classic New York setting the mood. Hodge turned on a lamp, illuminating the room.

"It is a pity," Hodge said, "that you did not retrieve the Cup. It would bring some comfort to Alec and certainly to his--"

"But I did retrieve the Cup," said Clary. Damien ripped a piece of cloth off his shirt and wrapped it around his wound, trying to stop the bleeding. "Didn't you tell him, Jace?"

"There wasn't enough time," Jace huffed. "I was bringing Alec upstairs, and putting an Iratze on Damien..." Damien rolled his eyes, as if putting an Iratze on him was hard work. But he still appreciated it.

"You have the Cup?" Hodge demanded.

"Yes," Clary said, pulling the Cup out of her pocket. It was still a lot smaller than Damien expected it to be, but still beautiful. "I have it here."

Hodge's pen slipped out of his hand, the tip hitting the ground. "That is the Angel's cup?"

"That one," Jace said. "It was--"