MEMORIES

chapter six

"Let's go crash a party."

     Damien shrugged his shoulders, as he honestly didn't know why. "If the Silent Brothers are coming, I'm hiding in my room anyways," he said in a joking way, though he wasn't entirely sure he was joking. If he was afraid of anything, it was the Silent Brothers.

     Alec gave a slight chuckle. "They aren't coming to see the Mundane until tomorrow," he pointed out. Damien gave a sigh of relief.

     "Thank god," Damien muttered, causing Alec to laugh again. Damien smiled in triumph. After pondering for a moment, he glanced at Alec. He didn't want to ruin the cheerful mood, but he couldn't help himself. "What do you have against Clary and Simon?"

     Alec seemed taken aback by this question, though he didn't hesitate when he replied, which surprised Damien, as with most, he was closed off. "Haven't you noticed the dynamic change ever since she's arrived?" Alec stated, his eyes just passing over Damien's. Damien gave a sigh.

     "I mean, of course I have," he admitted. "It's like Jace is completely taken away with her...which is unusual of him." He couldn't help but notice Alec's body tense at the mention of this fact. "But we're Shadowhunters, Alec. We're supposed to help others. And, I'm not entirely sure she's not one herself. She survived a Mark."

     Alec ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head slightly. "I'll still need more proof," he admitted. Damien didn't know how much more proof he needed. "It's just...strange. Not knowing who you are for fifteen years."

     Damien shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe her mom just wanted to hide everything from her," he suggested. "I would too, if I were married to someone like Valentine." Alec gave a slight sigh, though he gave no response, indicating he knew Damien was probably right. "Hey, I know something that may cheer you up. Supernatural marathon?" Alec shook his head, and Damien's heart fell into his chest with disappointment.

     "I'm sorry, Dami. I have studying to do." And with that, Alec began stepping up the stairs, leaving Damien at the bottom with his hands tucked in his pockets. He knew that they didn't have an exam coming up, as they were mostly done with their studies, and a frown came upon his face. 

     "Alec..." Damien tried, but then stopped himself with a sharp exhale. "Just, if you ever need anything, you know I'm here, right?" 

     Alec gave him a slight, forced smile. "I know, Dami. Thank you." As Alec headed up the stairs, Damien ran his fingers through his thick hair exasperatedly. Could he have been any more blatantly obvious? He was just glad that no one else had heard their conversation. Even in the now vacant space, Damien was embarrassed. He couldn't put it to words why he was embarrassed, he just was. 

--

     Damien was glad he fell asleep early the previous night, because he was shaken away by Clary bright and early in the morning. Groggily, he groaned as he opened his eyes. "By the angel," he complained. "What time is it?"

     "About five thirty in the morning," Clary replied, crossing her arms against her chest. "Come on, the Silent Brothers are here. Jace wanted me to come get you. He realized it was Clary seconds later, and with a gasp, brought his covers up over his torso. Clary rolled her eyes, though a smile was plastered on her face. "Hurry up, the silent brothers are already here. Nice shirt, by the way. Simon-approved." As if he forgot what he was wearing, he glanced down at his Star Wars tee, and his cheeks turned bright red.