Chapter I

It all transpired very fast. One moment you were on the shore, mourning the passing of your sister Laena and receiving condolences along with your brother Laenor, Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys, the next, a tussle was broke out between Rhaenyra's and Alicent's children. Lucerys had a crushed nose, Jacaerys had blood on his face, Daemon's girls were bruised as well. And Aemond... the Maester had announced that he had lost his eye.

You didn't favor any of them. Because if you did, that meant only one thing: an eminent feud involving both women, one you wanted no part of, not when you cared greatly for the two of them and every single one of those young princelings. One would assume you'd tilt towards your brother's children, honestly you did. You struggled in not letting it show too much when around the Queen and her kids, it was 50/50, they were not directly your blood from Laenor. That was plain. Yet the King refused to see it, or rather ignored it.

You had the black hair of the Baratheons, that was odd enough. People even once believed you were Princess Rhaeny's bastard, but she was an honorable woman. And you were the first offspring born of the Sea Snake and The Queen Who Never Was, the spitting image of your grandmother Jocelyn Baratheon.

You grew up at court with the two being your constant companions, therefore you hesitated in choosing sides. Carried on with the camaraderie of the Queen & the Princess, it was always difficult to root for one without betraying the other.

"We know father, we all know. Just look at them." Aegon stated, unfazed at all when the King inquired where he had heard such slander. The Hall was expectant.

King Viserys proclaimed that anyone who dared say a word about the legitimacy of the Princess's children would have their tongues cut out with hot tweezers.

"He is your son, my love. Will you not defend your son's honor in front of this crowd?" Alicent was visibly in despair, hot unshed tears in her eyes. You hadn't expected her to allude you right now.

"Lady Y/N Velaryon has always been a loyal companion of mine, and she has spent a considerable amount of time with the Princess. You know her better than most in this room. Do you have any say in the matter? Something that might make the King see some clarity, some truth." Pleaded Alicent. You fixed your gaze upon Aemond, then on the King, and finally landed on her.

"My Queen...-" You froze, unapologetically, before you could say anything to aid Her Grace, Rhaenyra chipped in.

"If Lady Y/N has something to allege against me or my boys, I have no doubt that Queen Alicent has fed her with gossip and falsehoods." Panic began to set in. Of course Alicent has told you of her suspicions about the princes, however, you have always dismissed them. Being partial on such topics. And now they were out in the open.

"Have I?" You frankly couldn't get a sentence out of your mouth. "If she's lost the ability to speak for herself, so be it. If no one is to do anything about this injustice, I'll do it myself. Ser Criston, bring me eye of Lucerys Valeryon. He can choose which one he wishes to keep, an option not granted to my son." Her mind was made up. Rhaenyra fastened her arms protectively around Luke.

Cole stiffened. "I am swore to protect you, your Grace." The King was way too baffled to even make a move. Alicent swiftly snatched his dagger and sprinted towards them, it was then when your mind and feet reacted in sync and you situated between Rhaenyra & the children and Alicent. She was in some sort of trance cause the words she exhaled next caught you off guard, for you to listen only.

"Why are you protecting them, her?" There was certainly disappointment in it, as well as pain, conflict.

"I'm protecting you. From making a big mistake." You muttered, she released her grip on your wrist, from behind Rhaneryra came to assist you.