Chapter X

"I'll apologize to him, aunt Y/N. I never meant for him to lose his eye."

"Oh, my handsome Lucerys. He might not have your hair but he sure has your gentle heart." Rhaenyra would breathe.

Your heart swelled, for though you knew he was not your brother's, you saw them as your rightful nephews, as your own flesh and blood.

"You've grown."

"I wish we were more alike. People wouldn't look down on me if we were."

"Hey, hey. You're perfect just the way you are, Luke. Don't ever let anyone make you feel less."

"I'm afraid."

"You don't have to be, sweet prince."

"No one wants me to precede Grandfather. I— I don't want to disappoint you. I really don't."

"You are not and never will be on your own. We'll teach you and you'll learn. Everything will be fine, I promise."

"I've missed your presence, aunt. Why didn't you visit us even once after my father's death? You just— forgot about us."

"I would never forget about any of you, Luke. Never."

"Then why did you neglect us for so long?"

"I— it's hard to explain. But I should never have. How I wish I could go back in time and be there for you."

"It's all right. There's nothing to forgive. I... we, Jace and I understand that mother and you had your own personal issues. What matters now is that you showed you still care."

"You are what matters. So does your brother. Joffrey is still very young but he is very dear to me too. You three, my beloved princes."

Luke found a den inside you, he clung to you so tightly that you could feel your brother in that snug embrace.
He was well protected, no harm would come his way.

What happened next was tragedy.

Aemond's return was amidst pure shock. And your heart stopped when he confessed his crime.

"I didn't— I—" He mumbled with redden eyes. He knew what this meant.

So did Alicent.

So did you.

The thread of peril was at hand. But your soul felt even heftier, as you commenced to fathom Rhaenrya's pain. Nothing weighed heavier, for there is no greater pain than outliving your children.

Aemond was reluctant to talk about it. He was heartbroken, too ashamed to face you. Yet he took courage and tried to do the right thing. Even when he couldn't reverse his wrong.

"Vhagar disobeyed me. It wasn't my—" He paused for a second. "I only meant to scare him. To taunt him. And Vhagar—"

"That's enough." You spoke up.

"Do you hate me?" He tremulously asked, never meeting your glance. Tons of guilt already harbored within.

"He was only fourteen."

"He gouged out my eye when we were much younger. There was no justice."

"This was justice for you?"

"I'm sorry."

"Are you, Aemond?"

You left him alone with his mind to torment him. A part of you wished you could offer him comfort. However, you couldn't.