Chapter V

You had considered going to Essos for a while, spending a few years in Braavos perhaps, being away from everything would have brought you peace, and that was what you longed for the most nowadays, however; the idea of going to the continent where your sister had died did not appeal to you too much, it was rather stinging.

You bore the scar Alicent gave you with gloominess... wondering how life has treated the princelings. You were a coward, for you assumed that The Queen wanted you as far away from her and her children as possible.

You have missed her terribly these last few years, you've thought of visiting the Capital, but stayed home with Rhaenys and Baela as her ward, attending to Driftmarks' affairs, Corlys has gone to retake the fighting it the  Stepstones, an old man's fight, one would opine. You were not eager to join him this time, instead you headed for Oldtown.

Little Daeron wasn't so little anymore, the most cunning and gracious of Alicent and Viserys' three sons, a handsome prince he was becoming, and all the ladies of the Reach seemed avid to curry his favour.

Daeron welcomed you with a nostalgic cuddle. He nigh couldn't believe you were actually there. "I almost thought you forgot about me." He said with a sad smile, you had to blink like six times to realize how much he's grown. "My lady?"

"I'm sorry, my silver boy. It's just... I cannot believe my eyes, you left when you were five... and now look at you."

Daeron heartily laughed. "I was wondering when one of my mothers was going to visit me."

The days passed too quickly, but you made the most of them by riding with the youngest prince, Silverwing and Tessarion became very fond of each other. He was still very young, but that didn't stop him from asking you to watch the skies every morning since your arrival.

However, returning to the Hightower was not easy. Flashes of Alicent's warm caresses came kicking in like a hailstorm, of course, those were innocent times, when you were too enraptured by the Princess that you could hardly notice anything else. You wondered how things would have been if she had spoken to you earlier. 

"Y/N, could you give me some advice?" Daeron bashfully asked as you sauntered the gardens with him, oh how he resembled Alicent in certain lights.

"By all means. Advice on what, my prince?"

"Please use my name. We are family, there's no need for titles." He remarked. "I know I'm still a young lad, way too young to be thinking about it... it's..." He paused for a minute to add detail. "I... would very much like to court lady Eva Tyrell." You looked at him deeply, he shook his head in embarrassment, and you hated to have caused him discomfort. "Never mind..."

"No, no. Daeron, sorry, my boy. You are growing so fast I can barely catch up." He smiled in return.

"I was hoping... you could enlighten me with some knowledge. Perhaps tell me how you did it with mother." At that, you gasped.

"What do you mean?"

"It was obvious that you were in love. Don't know if you still are, I'd hope so. But I sadly do not reckon." Your brows knitted in a sad frown.

"Daeron...—"You suspired before readjusting.

"Or.. was I mistaken? You do not love my mother?" He innocently pushed, your mind strayed off to the Queen, to those lovely auburn locks of hers, to her timid smile, even as a grown woman.

"Tell me about this Eva. Oh, she must be quite the lady." You dodged his questions by shooting one at him. Daeron beamed at the broach of the Tyrell girl.

"It was love at first sight, I'd wager. She comes from time to time with his lord father, Lord Tyrell. She's so kind to everyone, so kind to me." The prince said. "She's only one year my elder."