Chapter XII

The bright light searing into your vision. Your body ached all over, and you felt a sharp ache in her head. You tried to sit up, the movement caused you to groan in pain.

As you lay there, trying to gather your thoughts, memories of the attack flooded back to you. You remembered being attacked while in Alicent's quarters, panic gripped your heart. And then there was darkness.

You had to find out what had happened, the uneasiness already making its presence.

With a deep inhalation, you managed to push up into a sitting position. You took a moment to steady yourself, your muscles still throbbing. You couldn't stay in bed, not when you had so many questions that needed answering.

Your body protesting at the sudden action, you stumbled a little, but managed to made your way towards the door.

You noticed that the hallway was empty, save for a few guards.

"Excuse me, Ser," you said, approaching one of them. "Do you know where I can find Queen Alicent?"

The guard looked at you, surprised. "You should be resting, my lady," he said.

"I need to see her," You insisted. "It's urgent."

He nodded and told you about her whereabouts. You thanked him and made your way.

Your slow pace caused you to take your sweet time to get there, you knocked on Otto's chambers, and both were there.

Alicent rushed towards you, concern etched on her face. "What are you doing up?" she exclaimed. "You're supposed to be regaining your strength. The maids were instructed to keep you in your chamber, you—"

"Helaena... is she alright?" You impatiently asked, "And the children?"

Alicent's countenance shifted immediately, her eyes full of sorrow. "Helaena was unharmed. She has been concealed to her rooms. She's not eating, she's lost the light in her eyes."

You felt a lump forming in your throat. "Is Jahaera okay? Jahaerys?"

"I'm tending to her," Alicent replied. "But little Jahaerys..." She didn't even finish the sentence before you let out a stinging gasp.

"I failed them," You said, the words coming out as a whisper. "I..."

"No, Y/N, you tried," Alicent said firmly, cutting you off. "I saw. This is not your fault, you hear me? Do not dare blame it on yourself."

"Aegon?"

"He's coping his way."

You felt tears welling up in your eyes. You had never felt so helpless before. You had tried to protect Helaena and her children, but not enough, you had failed.

"This was the Black's doing." Otto muttered. You utterly ignored the fact that he was standing behind you.

"Rhaenyra wouldn't take a child's life. He was her sister's, no...-" you refused to believe.

"Who else would want the King's heir dead? They sought revenge, even the score. This was their toil." He pressed.

"You got them?"

"One of them. He attempted to escape with-" Alicent paused for a second. "-with my grandson's head in a sack. We seized him at the gates and he's in the dungeons now." Your anger flared up, rushing to the exit.

"My lady, you're in no condition to—" Alicent tried to talk you out.

"I can't just sit and wait for them to confess. I'll feed them to Silverwing—"

Alicent acquiesced because she too, was desperate.

"I will escort lady Y/N to the dungeons. Can't prowl those halls alone." Otto chimed in.