Chapter II

Oh how you rejoiced in taking off to the mountain tops to liberate your mind for a while. You didn't take after your father, not being a big fan of the sea and sailing, instead you fell in love with the skies. Silverwing was the best dragon you could ever dream for.

Not having hatched one of your own, unlike Laenor, you claimed the she-dragon when you were only nine, you almost gave Rhaenys a heart attack when she was told you've been seen soaring the skies atop of her. "Your great grandmother would be proud. But don't be hot-headed, Y/N." The Queen Who Never Was remarked. You wore a grin of satisfaction when your mother praised you.

You admired Queen Alysanne, you've read all about her contribution to the Realm in the ruling of her husband, King Jaehaerys I, therefore, you aspired to become like her, that's why you gathered the courage to mount the silvery beast. She was relatively docile and friendly to strangers, so it was natural the bond that bloomed between you.

You lodged in King's Landing since then, with Silverwing residing in the Dragon Pit with the rest of the dragons.

"Care to join me for a ride, cousin?" Rhaenyra offered beaming.

"Today is your nameday, my Princess. Do you want to spend it with me?" Rhaenyra was turning ten and five, you were the same age and that aided you to feel comfortable around one another. And you found common ground on flying. She nodded eagerly, grabbing gently your forearm.

"Nothing would make me happier."

How could you refuse the Princess of the Kingdom? You were being reckless and selfish, to say the least. King Viserys and Queen Aemma were hosting a huge feast and jousting to celebrate the "Realm's Delight", but she had other plans in mind. You tagged along without a second thought.

"Where are we going?" You asked once you were ready to take depart.

"Home."

Dragonstone was a short flight from the Capital, the dank island was forsaken, except for a dozen servants that kept the Castle in good conditions. You landed ashore, unsure on why Rhaenyra would want to be there.

"We could move here. Just the two of us." The Princess's voice unwavering. You chucked modestly. "After all, It is rightfully mine."

"It would get a bit lonely, don't you agree?" You demurred, she shook her head.

"Not really, we have Syrax and Silverwing. They can keep us company."

"Would that suffice, my Princess?" She looked you straight in the eye, you had never felt so intimate with anyone before.

"It would, for me. I'll never be the son my father so desperately seeks. There's no place for me there. Not one that will lead me to a happy ending." The confession staggered your heart, the princess felt so alone, so isolated, under the shadow of an unborn male child. "We could visit Driftmark from time to time. I know you'd miss your family." She insisted, you contemplated this absurd notion for a minute.

"What about Alicent?"

"What about her?"

"Wouldn't you miss her?"

"Would you?"

"Yes. She's our friend."

"She's way too dutiful. She will marry soon and forget about us."

"You reckon?"

"We could do as we pleased here. I needn't worry about you marrying some fat Lord. We could wed instead, I've read about the ancient Valyrian ceremonies. I would make you happy." There was no malice, nor ambition, solely innocence and hope.