THE "CHARITY" Case

A TASTE OF TRUE HUNGER
"The Curse Of A High Rank!"

CURTIS Stormer

AFTERLIFE. I wasn't quite sure how but I was breathing. I was bloody too but certainly and gratefully alive!

I shot up in the alleyway feeling an irresistible hunger in my stomach. It felt empty, literally.
I got up and covered the bloody parts of my shirt with my jacket. I had to get home before my parents woke up.

I hurried to the car not bothering to think about what happened. Getting in, I started and noticed my phone on the passenger seat. I picked it up and saw the time.

05:52 am

I gasped quickly speeding off to my neighborhood.

..the not-so-friendly neighborhood after last night.

I snuck into my room and to the bathroom. Taking off my shirt, my fingers ran over the place I felt the bullets reap into my flesh. It was not there anymore, I thought I'd imagined it but the bloody shirt gave me proof.

I couldn't go to a police station with a bloody shirt claiming I'd been shot when I was scarless at the moment.

There was a brief knock on my door, my parents were awake!

'In the bathroom!' I yelled quickly locking the bathroom door. I sighed getting into the shower and letting the water run down my gory self.

I watched the red water run into the drain hole.

'Are you ready for school?' Mom asked as she fried some eggs.
I hummed in response.

'Your dad is feeling lazy so he stayed in!' She laughed. I gave her a small smile. I couldn't stop thinking about last night, replaying what happened.

'I think I'll go a little early today!' I threw my bag over my shoulder and ran out. I only heard my mum sigh. How I did outside, I didn't know.

I heard multiple swooshes on the road and saw masses disappearing at the corner. Jesus Christ!
Those were people moving at some miles per hour?

I gulped and got onto my bike, I couldn't believe I wanted to go to school. I, Curtis wanted to go to school..and at this time.
The sky was almost mauve but the morning chills didn't get to me. I was wearing my jacket. That jacket from last night.

I got to school in time to find several students getting there.  I sighed turning off the engine and getting off.

Several students looked at me, it was odd but I shrugged it off. A scent filled the air, one I couldn't resist, lime and a hint of melon.

I'd smelled these fruits before but..today..it was different. The scent was different.

I turned and my eyes met with shocked brick red ones, they were probably copper but I couldn't decipher the color.
She walked off immediately not even bothering to respond to my friendly gesture, I've got to stop trying!

She wore the familiar jacket from almost everywhere in school. It was the emo girl.

.. Charity Sylvan!

She was weird, sadly weird. One of those pretty girls gone wrong, if only she wasn't that into black and death?
I sighed and walked into the hallways. A bunch of students inside stared at me in shock, it was mostly out of fear like I did something to them.

Jasper walked to my locker, eating an apple. He smelled oddly nice today, with no onion breath or cheese.
'You are oddly early today?' He spoke leaving a question mark at the end.

I sighed. 'I had to leave home urgently.. besides, we have that Chemistry test?' I left my question mark too. The scent came again and I had to look, Charity was at her locker stuffing it with black books and her jacket. I noticed her spider tattoos all over her arm.

A shiver ran down my arm, I hated spiders especially when they scurried out a hole.
'Ahem!' Jasper cleared his throat and I returned my attention to filling my locker with books and removing the necessary ones to put in my bag like the chemistry one_

And why the hell can I smell her?

She brushed past me to her class. It was next to the staircase, I had Chemistry now but she had Geometry and Trigonometry. I couldn't comprehend why I thought I saw her in my classes and yet this was the first one I didn't have with her.

'Curt!' Jasper grabbed my arm and pulled me upstairs with him. My eyes managed to catch a glimpse of the class, her eyes were staring right at mine.

The wall cut our eye contact. 'What the hell dude?' I jerked my arm out of Jasper's hand. 'I am walking!'

We made it to class and I noticed Rico Forensic, he looked at me keenly before whispering to his neighbor Conner.
He too looked at me before resuming his test preparation.

We both took our seats. Hardly had I pulled out my book when an eager Ms. Hopkins walked in.
'Okay, class space up, and books away!'

People grumbled but did what she said anyway.
'It's just to assess how far we've gone..don't think too much about it!' She moved around and handed each of us a paper.

I got out my pencil and began to fill in whatever I thought was right...

..I didn't get time to read, I was too busy getting shot!

'How was it?' Jasper rubbed his palms together before we stopped at the vending machine.
My appetite had died and I was hoping a snack would help boost it back.

'Uh..' I put in my coins and punched in the number.
'Great. I guess?'

He sighed patting my shoulder. 'You're smart, don't sweat it!'

I held my snicker bar and put it into my bag. The lime scent came again and I wanted to ignore it but it left just as it'd come.

I sighed in disappointment.

'Curtis!' A voice called up from behind. I turned and saw a group of boys. My eyes caught Benson before moving to Jeremy Fit, one of the most popular boys in school.

'Uh yes.. that's me!' I walked up to them, Jasper did too.

'I said Curtis!' His eyes moved to Jasper. 'Not Jasper!'

Jasper sighed clutching the sides of his pockets. 'See you around Curt!' He saluted.

I did too.

'Why did he have to go?' I creased my brows when they chuckled. 'What do you want? I am almost late for my_'

'Stop sticking around the human Buddy!' His arm went around mine, it was uncomfortable for me being slightly taller than him.

'Human?' I raised my brow.

'Know your rank!' He whispered and walked off. The rest followed immediately except for Benson who lingered a little longer.

'We'll talk later!' He patted my arm and brushed past me.