Chapter 22

"Honestly. I don't know how to do this..."

"Do what?"

"Right now, the mood feels sour with the overseer and my boss. Alongside my coworkers. If anything, everyone seems to look on with displeasure at the overseer." The Captain mumbled as he noticed the side glances going Otto's way. "Really makes me wonder why they're looking at him like he's gonna do something bad..."

"Hmm~" Christine hummed innocently as she looked around. "This place is quite big. Then again, I suppose it'd make sense that the Hyperion would have a lot of space."

"I know right?" The Captain smiled as he scratched his head with worry. "I would like to introduce you to everyone, but I don't think I wanna ruin the mood anymore—"

"There you two are. I was wondering when you would arrive."

Crap baskets...

The Captain smiled nervously as Otto called them out as he smiled. This caused his coworkers to look at him and Christine as he gulped silently. "S-Sorry about that. We had to talk a bit since you know... There's a lot to catch up with." He and Christine walked over to the others as Otto remained in spot with his arms behind his back. "Of course, we decided that we can continue catching up later. Figured we wouldn't want to continue wasting time."

"Mou Kouhai~ Tomorrow we'll have to spend the entire day talking about what's been going on these past ten years!"

"Of course. Given I'm not working right now, injuries after all. I have free time to discuss things with you." The Captain nodded towards Christine as he then looked over at the rest with an awkward smile. Seeing the stares he's receiving is quite... Hollow? "Everyone, this is Christine. She and I have known each other since childhood. She's a tad older than me so she's my Senpai." He introduced Christine who held a smile as she bowed slightly.

"Christine Chryseis. I'll be working with you all from now on."

"Working with us...?" Durandal mumbled as she stared down at Christine with surprise. Though just like everyone else, her eyes dilated at the name.

"Of course." Otto spoke up earning everyone to look at him. He held a calm composure despite the bloodlust going his way as he looked at Theresa. "You accepted her application and everything didn't you, Theresa?"

"!!" All the eyes focused on Theresa who took a step back with a frown as she sweats.

"I-I didn-didn't know that she wa-was the one..." Theresa stuttered as she glared at Otto afterward for shifting everything to her.  Personal feelings aside, she still has a job. "She showed promise. Those who are accepted into this place mean that they are talented." So that's why her name sounded familiar. Now she remembers.

"A new Valkyrie... Especially one who the Captain used to date." Himeko looked amused, despite her earlier glare. She thinks that having such a fragment of the past be of use. "Not bad..." She eyed Christine's chest with approval as she nodded.

"The same words go to you~" Christine eyed Himeko's chest with admiration.

"Can you handle alcohol?"

"Can you handle yours?"

"..."

"We'll get along just fine!" Himeko and Christine said at the same time.

"Wait... You drink?!" The Captain said with shock as he stared at Christine. "Senpai! Don't you know you're poisoning yourself!?"

"Wait a minute... You can't be saying that." Elysia said. "You're being hypocritical." She pointed out.