A Friend

Tanjiro's POV

"I'm serious Zenitsu! That was probably so embarrassing for her!" I retorted.

"Well it's her fault for dropping the water!" Zenitsu shot back defensively. I shook my head disappointedly.

"Don't blame her! You were the one that startled—"

"Ahem!" Me and Zenitsu turned around, and an annoyed Shinobu was standing at the end of the table, hands on her hips.

"We're so sorry, Miss Kocho!" I apologized.

"Oh, sorry Kocho-chan!" Zenitsu said dreamily completely changing moods. My eyebrows furrowed.

"That's quite alright." She concluded.

"Now, food is ready! Everyone be seated and prepared. Our staff will be taking the food to you shortly." As soon as she finished the staff emerged from the kitchen, food in hand. I sighed in relief, finally we were going to eat.

It seemed like Shinobu decided to help too, for she ran to the kitchen and came out with plates, she then set them down for Giyu and Sabito.

"This looks good, doesn't it Giyu?" Sabito asked giving him a smile.

"Uhm, yeah..." Giyu replied turning his face away. I could see his cheeks flush red and a teeny smile creep upon his face. I grinned to myself.

Aoi placed two meals in front of Obanai and Mitsuri.

"Oh look how delicious this smells!" She exclaimed to her partner. Obanai nodded, smiling through his eyes.

Kanao placed two meals in front of  Rengoku and Nezuko.

"Mmmm!" Nezuko exclaimed, she pulled down her mask and began to gobble up her food. I giggled at her enthusiasm.

"I'm sure this'll be tasty!" Rengoku assumed, he took a bite and gave a satisfied nod. I suppose it was tasty then.

I guess I was too busy watching everyone get their food because I didn't notice when one of the staff began to put down Zenitsu's meal. I began to feel slightly worried for the one serving him was the pretty maid. Zenitsu looked at her dreamily the entire time and was bombarding her with compliments.

"You're hair's so nice."

"That dress is pretty."

"Are you single?"

I could tell that she was uncomfortable. So I punched Zenitsu on the side, signaling him to stop.

"What?" He asked annoyed. I could hear the maid cursing under her breath as she walked to my side of the table to put down my plate.

"Sorry about my friend, he's just—"

"It's fine." I heard her mumble so quietly I thought it was my imagination at first. She was so quiet that it was odd to hear her voice, which for some reason sounded a little off.

"Oh, okay, sorry again." I didn't know what to say.

She left with an unreadable look upon her face.
I don't know why but I felt like I had to talk with her. Maybe later... After I eat. I thought, looking down at my food

____

I was taking a walk around the backyard, it was a beautiful place and I was glad to be here with all my friends for the three-day weekend. I was still contemplating whether I should talk to that girl or not.

I suppose fate made the decision for me, because I saw her hanging clothes to dry. She seemed irritated and I think she was mumbling something, for her lips were moving.

I began to approach her, and once I was behind her I tapped her shoulder. Her head spun towards my face and she stared at me, eyes wide.

"Hello!" I said cheerfully. She replied with a weak smile, as if it was hard for her to do the said smile.

"I'm sorry about everything." I apologized. The girl nodded slowly, looking away, I felt like she wasn't interested in the conversation.

"I'm sorry if I'm being annoying—" She gazed at me and then vigorously shook her head. I blinked a few times at the sudden act. I then smiled warmly.

"Okay," I giggled.

My face was tilted down, a teeny smile upon my face, but my face fell as I realized I never got her name. I felt rude.

"I, never got your name, what is it?" I asked. Her eyes widened and she looked away nervously. I wondered why, was she ashamed?

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me." I reassured. She sighed and shook her head. I looked at her, confused. She fiddled with her hair and thought. Suddenly, she leaned in close to my right ear, I felt a bit nervous, she then whispered something.

"My name is Inosuke..." I noticed her voice sounded masculine. "And, uhm, I'm not, actually a girl..." She confessed obviously embarrassed, or should I say he?

I pulled back flabbergasted. " You're a boy!? This whole time? And Zenitsu— oh Zenitsu—." I paused, then burst into laughter, Inosuke stared at me as if I was crazy. "Wait till he hears about this! Oh he'll never hear the end of it!" I giggled. Inosuke huffed.

"That boy's a weirdo, kept looking at me funny." He grumbled. I now fully realized that he in fact was a boy, his voice completely gave it away.

"I never gave you my name, did I?" I said.

"Nope."

"Well, it's Tanjiro, Tanjiro Kamado." I told him informatively. He nodded. I smiled before glancing at the sky, I frowned. How it had become dark so soon, was a mystery. I didn't realize how much I had spoken with him.

"Inosuke, I have to go." I stated with a sigh, I didn't want to leave, and I didn't know when I'd get another chance to be with Inosuke.

"Oh," Inosuke looked down wearily. "Bye, then."

"It was nice meeting you!" I said, letting out a small smile. He smiled back but it seemed forced. I held my hand out for him to shake. He glanced at it, then me and shook.

"Bye," he mumbled.

"Inosuke..."

"Hm?"

I grabbed his hand and held it in my right hand. His hands were very, cold... I caressed his hand unknowingly, and I could feel his eyes on me, I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard him clear his throat to alert me.

"Sorry, don't know why I did that..." I mumbled. I let go of his hand.

"You say that a lot." He replied, looking away.

"I feel it a lot." I confessed. He gave me a pitiful look.

"Until we meet again, Inosuke." I smiled, pulling away from the topic and leading on with my words of goodbye. I didn't want to leave though. I wanted to stay, and talk with Inosuke.

"Tch, we'll totally meet again, we're friends now, right Kentaro?" He grinned playfully punching me in the shoulder. My eyes widened, friends? "I would like that, I'd like it a lot." I said joyfully. "Also, my names Tanjiro." I giggled. He shrugged

"That's what I said, Monjiro." He said confused I continued to chuckle as I left. He waved as I walked. I couldn't help but think over and over how he was my friend.

"Inosuke, a friend..." I thought.