The Honeymoon Period

At eight o'clock Monday night, Hermione knocked on the door to the Potion Master's lab. No one answered, even though light shone under the door.

The brave Gryffindor poked in her head. Professor Snape was nowhere in sight. Spread out on her workspace was two cauldrons and ingredients for Magi-Me-More pills.

Hermione sighed as she shut the door behind her.

"Do you, Hermione Granger take Severus Snape to be your husband, bound for the rest of your days?" Diggle asked.

Hermione couldn't speak. She tried several times but the words would not come out. Professor Snape continued to glare straight ahead.

"I—I will," Hermione said, choking on each syllable.

"Do you, Severus Snape, take Hermione Granger to be your wife, bound for the rest of your days?"

Snape didn't say anything. His fists shook at his sides, they were balled so tight.

The silence stretched on until—

"I will," he spat.

Diggle drew a square in the air. The space shimmered gold, then turned to parchment. As it fluttered into his hand, he said, "You are now bonded as Mr and Mrs Snape for the rest of your days. Please k—"

Before he could finish, Professor Snape had left the room, slamming the door in his wake.

Hermione hadn't spoken to him since. He wouldn't look at her during class and he hadn't come to the Great Hall since Saturday. Professor McGonagall had been absent a few times; Hermione suspected she had been down in the dungeons.

Hermione set her cloak on the back of a chair and rolled up her sleeves. Her hair was already pulled back from her face. The long hours in the lab made everything frizzy.

She couldn't tell if her stomach clenched because she was nervous about brewing by herself in the Potions Master's lab, or if it was because she was married to the Potion Master himself.

Wednesday

Hermione walked between Harry and Ron, on their way to her second Potions class as Mrs Snape.

Mrs Snape, Mrs Snape, Mrs Snape echoed through her head. How many times had she walked through the Gryffindor common room, hearing girls argue over whether their Potions teacher was a mysterious bad boy or a fear-monger? And now she was bloody married to him.

Hermione rubbed the back of her aching neck. I don't think I can handle much more stress this year, she thought.

A knot of Slytherins jeered at Harry and looked Hermione up and down. Several of those boys had petitioned to marry Hermione, and they let her know they were "interested" every time they saw her.

"Have you accepted my request yet, darling?" Blaise Zabini asked, throwing a wink her way.

"Ha! A girl like that can't hang off of your lovely arm, Blaise," Daphne Greengrass said, clutching his bicep.

"I think Granger and Goyle would make a perfect couple," Pansy Parkinson snickered.

"You know who would be a good match for you, Parkinson?" Hermione asked. "The Giant Squid."

Several students laughed. Some stayed quiet, their eyes darting back and forth between the Gryffindors and the Slytherins.

"I can't wait for you to get married, Granger," Parkinson hissed, stepping up into Hermione's space. "Your husband is going to cart you off, straight to the Dark Lord. And when you get there," she gave an evil giggle, "you're going to get what you deserve, you filthy Mudblood."