Top Marks

Alecto Carrow walked into class with a stack of newspapers in her arms. Lavender and Parvati agreed that she was more fashionable than Amycus even though the two did look eerily similar. Like most of the Death Eaters Hermione knew, Alecto favoured dark colors, but she frequently added in red or purple when Amycus strictly stuck to browns and grey. The two didn't even talk in the same manner—the Weasley siblings were all definitely related just by listening to them talk.

Once Alecto was behind her desk, the papers began to float their way over to the student desks.

After September, people began to drop the class, at least one student every week. It was evident no one would learn any real history of Muggles or of the UK. Other than the very thrilling week on World War I. Then the next week on World War II. And the week after that being dedicated solely to the atomic bomb and its deadly power.

Ernie Macmillan and Hermione shared a desk. Once word had spread of her bounty, not many people willingly sat next to her. The newspaper landed between them, one for each table.

The front page declared Umbridge's most recent undertaking: The Muggle-Born Registration Commission.

Hermione felt her heart skip a beat. The class read silently.

The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called "Muggle-borns," to better understand how they came to possess magical secrets. Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when Wizards reproduce. Where no proven Wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft or force. The Ministry is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-born to present themselves for interview by the newly appointed Muggle-born Registration Commission.

"Oy, what's this about, then?" Seamus asked. "Are people seriously gonna have to register?"

Alecto sighed and perched on the front of her desk. "It does say it is required."

"And then what happens?" Ernie asked with his hand raised.

Hermione pulled the paper closer to speed read.

Of the twelve students left in the class, five were Muggle-born. Hermione wouldn't doubt that wizards like Seamus would be next.

"No one has yet been tried," Alecto said. "I will keep you updated."

Her dark eyes shot to each of the Muggle-born in the room. She saved Hermione for last.

I bet you will, Hermione thought. She raised her hand. "May I keep this, ma'am?"

She only paid for the morning subscription of the Prophet. It was hard to keep giving liars money, but she needed to know what the enemy knew.

"Certainly, Miss Granger." Alecto rose from the desk and clapped her hands. "Alright—last night's reading. Who can tell me about aeroplanes and why they are subpar to brooms?"

Hermione combed the rest of the newspaper. She had done the reading but found that practically every article in the book was biased against any Muggle invention if there was a wizard-equivalent. And neither Carrow encouraged healthy debate in their classes.

Hermione reached the end of the article. She flipped the page—and found a registration form.

"This shite is why Dean didn't come back," Seamus muttered under his breath. He slid the paper away and crossed his arms.

He remained deep in thought for the rest of the class.

Hermione put her thumbnail in her mouth. This means—this means that Professor Snape will have to take me in to be registered or lose his wand, too.