The Next Summer

The back garden of the Burrow was decked out in Ravenclaw blue and silver on one side, Gryffindor red and gold on the other—and entirely gnome-free thanks to Severus's concoction. It was the first Saturday in June and muggy due to last night's rain evaporating from the grass. But that did not put a damper on Lavender and Molly or their party planning.

Ginny and Luna had graduated and decided to have their parties combined. And since Ron, Harry and Hermione hadn't had a graduation party, they were counted in too. The girls insisted on a chocolate cake and the boys wanted white so Molly made one of each.

Hermione and Severus had spent the first week of the hols in Spinner's End, tidying the place up. Severus and her parents had only been in the same room five times since Christmas—once for her parents' wedding anniversary, once for Mum's birthday, and a few more times for random dinners on the weekend, but Harry and Ron had also been along so that didn't really count. With so many other people, Severus was able to retreat to the background with ease.

So the night before the party, Hermione shoved Severus and her mum into Mum's kitchen and they all set about putting together nibbles for the party.

"I thought you didn't know how to cook," Mum said as she tied an apron about her waist.

"I know how," he replied, "but I seldom enjoy it."

"We're Potions Masters, Mum. That's kind of like cooking." She and Hermione wore the matching aprons Grandmum had sewn years ago. It was a little tight on Hermione now, but Mum got all teary-eyed so it was worth the squeezed guts.

Severus and Hermione intently listened to Mum's recipe recitations. Severus was tasked with all knife-duties. Hermione was in charge of the stove and oven steps. Mum would take care of making things pretty and ensuring they were edible along with storing them overnight.

Dad came in, golf clubs slung over his shoulder. He eyed up Severus then the ladies behind him. "Put you to work, have they?" he asked politely.

"I am leaving the difficult parts to the experts," Severus responded quietly.

"Oh I'm no expert," Mum tittered from the oven. "I just bake as a hobby." Severus had a special brand of flattery.

Dad relaxed at Mum's demurring. He set the bag of golf clubs down in the hallway to examine Hermione's and Mum's work, back to ignoring Severus. "So, it's a three-hour drive tomorrow, without traffic."

"Oh, we can take you there," Hermione assured him. She knelt down to look in the oven window.

"Magic carpet?" Andrew joked.

"No. We'll just pop over," Hermione said, putting her elbows on her knees. "I don't think these are done yet."

"Don't eat anything that might upset your stomachs," Severus murmured over his shoulder.

Looks of horror flashed across her parents' faces as they imagined horrible methods of wizard-travel.

So the Drs Granger were woozy after their first Apparations to the Burrow that morning, Mum clinging to Severus's arm, Dad holding his head in one hand, Hermione's hand in the other.

"Well, easier than driving," Dad said, face tinged green.

"It is going to be a hot one today," Mum said, shielding her eyes to look at the blue sky and fluffy clouds. She still held Severus's arm. Severus didn't move. "We're early, so let's help set up."

Severus's body relaxed when Mum finally pulled away.

Dad looked to Hermione. "Sweetie, you put all the food in your tiny purse."