Took ill on Thursday

Hermione really, really, really did not want to meet Luna for the night's patrol. Her legs felt weighed down whenever she walked to class. And the stairs? The biggest challenge she'd faced this term. But still, she went.

The two started from the Great Hall and worked their way up level by level. They had stopped going into the dungeons after each of them had the ends of their hair singed by a third-year. Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick understood completely and said they would be responsible for that area from now on.

The night was quiet in Hogwarts. Nobody caused any mischief and the two Prefects didn't even find any wayward papers littering the floor. They had to shoo a few Hufflepuffs out of the washroom so they wouldn't be out past curfew, but they didn't see anybody else.

That should have been their red flag.

If Goyle hadn't sneezed, Luna and Hermione would not have realized they had been followed into the Astronomy Tower staircase.

Luna and Hermione whipped around, wands almost drawn. Crabbe and Goyle already had the drop on them. Draco Malfoy stood smirking with his hands on his hips.

"No need to get your wands out for us, ladies," the aristocrat drawled. "I'm only here to talk with my dear wife-to-be."

"Unfortunately, Draco," Hermione drawled with equal malice, "Hermione Malfoy has a disgusting ring to it-so I will have to decline your proposal."

She and Luna stood, muscles ready to spring, but didn't draw their wands.

Draco's grin looked more menacing than friendly as he draped his arm across Hermione's shoulder. Luna took a step forward. Crabbe bodily placed himself between Luna and Hermione.

"Come now, darling, surely you don't forget the benefits of the Malfoy name." He was steering her away from Luna, further up the stairs to the tower. His hand clutched the back of her neck and his torso pressed into Hermione's side-she couldn't swing her arm without shoving him off first.

"I don't see being a bigoted snob as much of a benefit," she said, trying her utmost to keep her jaw from clenching.

Draco sighed. "I shouldn't have expected many manners from a Mudblood."

Hermione reared back to slap him and Luna lunged forward. The Slytherins immediately clamped down on the witches. Draco's embrace pinned both her arms to her sides. Goyle hugged Luna from behind, her arm twisted awkwardly to grasp the handle of her wand, still in her pocket.

"I will never marry a Death Eater like you, Malfoy," she spat. "You can tell Mummy and Daddy and even Voldemort for all I care."

"You haven't much of a choice, from what I understand. Potter is going to the littlest Weasely, and all the other blood-traitors won't have you." He leaned in close. "It's only a matter of time, Granger. I happen to know that I was your first request." He eased back. "Hurry up and pick me, so I can be done with you. I actually do have a witch I would like to marry-one I could actually stand the sight of," he spat, shoving Hermione away.

Draco's eyes darted to his cronies. "Don't break the nutter, Goyle."

Hermione cursed him.

Draco stumbled backwards but grabbed the wall to steady himself. He drew his wand but didn't know where to point it. "She blinded me-don't let her leave!"

Luna Stunned Crabbe before Goyle's chokehold began to hurt with bone-cracking force. She squeaked and kicked her feet as she was lifted off the ground.

Hermione immobilized Draco then cast her curse in Goyle's direction.