Waiting

Severus couldn't sleep. He didn't know if Hermione slept on his shoulder, but she was quiet.

The gurgle in Albus's throat clicked in his ears. The veins in his eyes spidered and expanded as the venom took hold.

Severus crossed his arms tight across his stomach.

He wouldn't sleep. He couldn't.

"Should we go to bed?" she asked around 1 AM. Actually, she had to ask twice. He hadn't heard her the first time.

"Go." She needn't suffer in here.

Hermione struggled to her feet after sitting on the frozen floor for so long.

He was God damned relieved she was in the castle. He couldn't pull this off with his magic split. His head thunked back against the desk.

The spot in his chest, the crack he had made with the Killing Curse—right below it was a pain in his stomach. He would have to hide it before he contended with the Dark Lord's Legilimency again.

Hermione returned, wrapped in her fluffy dressing grown and slippers. A comforter tumbled over her arms.

The pain expanded until it popped, the dark lava spilling over his insides.

"Go away." He didn't want her to leave.

Hermione resumed her spot, but with the blanket tucked under her and thrown across the both of them. "Shut up."

Their only light was from the hearth in the other room.

"Who will be headmaster now?"

"Me."

"Huh." They sat hip to hip, both looking straight ahead. "Do you even want to be headmaster?"

"I never wanted to be here again." If there was any a time to be honest it was now, he supposed.

Severus scrubbed his hands over his face until it stung his cheeks.

They resumed the silence. The waiting.

Dobby popped into the center of the room. Hermione had her wand aimed.

Severus didn't bother.

Death would be easier at this point. He supposed that was why Albus chose that option.

Dobby wordlessly held up a Ministry-stamped wax-sealed envelope.

Severus took it from him.

Dobby's bulbous eyes darted to Hermione. He bit his lip and twisted his hands and disappeared.

Severus tore open the edge of the letter.

The words didn't make sense to him. He just stared at it.

Hermione peered over his shoulder.

"You were right," she murmured.

He let the letter fall to the floor and put his face in hands. His elbows dug into his knees.