Flee

Harry roared, "You bastard!" and pulled his wand from his back pocket.

Hermione threw herself onto his arm. "Harry, don't!"

"You killed him, didn't you?" Harry demanded.

Severus turned to them. He seemed dazed. Until his eyes focused on Harry with a sneer.

"You three need to leave."

"What is that?" Ron asked. Even his voice was tinged green.

Hermione's hands jumped to cover her mouth. That was a dress, and what looked like skin.

"Is that Bathilda Bagshot?" Her hands muffled how high-pitched her voice became.

.

Rodolphus had killed and bloody skinned Bagshot. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose.

Potter trembled at Hermione's side.

"Go!" the professor barked.

"Where?" Weasley asked. He didn't know where to look—anywhere except their former headmaster.

"I don't care. Do not tell me where," he snapped. "All of you."

Potter reared forward again. Weasley grabbed him by the back of the jumper.

"Should the Dark Lord come for a visit, I couldn't very well stop him." His voice had become staccato.

Weasley dragged Potter from the room, insisting they hurry.

"Why?" Hermione whispered.

"No one will be surprised an ailing old man has finally passed." Severus's own hand shook.

"I saw it," Hermione said. Her voice cracked at the end. "The green."

Fawkes landed on the back of Albus's chair.

Almost too quiet for Hermione to hear, Severus whispered, "It's what he wanted."

Hermione backed away. "Oh my God," she breathed. "You killed him."

Fawkes wept.

.

It was an eternity before Severus slowly turned his head towards her. His eyes reminded her of black smoke rising from a fire.

She had believed—believed he was on their side. Dumbledore had believed.

Severus had obsessed over brewing dozens of different antivenin and strengthening potions—he spent entire weekends trying to heal Dumbledore's hand. They had just been in the lab, together—

"Go," Severus ordered.

"Where is Bathilda Bagshot?" Tears burned at the edges of her eyes.

Severus's eyes darted to the mangled pile before the office door.

"What happened to her?"

Dumbledore's mass of strange silver instruments clinked at Hermione's elbow.

"What happened to her?" Hermione demanded, swinging up her wand and aiming at Severus's chest.

"The snake." It caught in Severus's throat. "Bit him."

.

Hermione glanced to the headmaster's body. The tears spilled down her face. Severus didn't think she was aware of them; her aim didn't waver.

"Go!" he yelled. She couldn't be here. None of them could remain in the castle. He would have zero way to prevent their capture.

Hermione jolted, the fear back in her eyes. She backed away, wand still raised. She twitched again when they heard footsteps on the stairs.