September

Miss Lovegood had been correct—an article lamenting the school's delayed reopening had seen a massive spike in volunteers each Saturday over the summer holiday. Enough broomsticks for the first-year flying lessons had been donated, some new, some donated directly by the Firebolt manufacturers. The house-elves had been ecstatic to assist in any way necessary. And so, Severus had been wrong—they were, in fact, able to open the school on September first as usual. From his office window, Albus's portrait hanging at his shoulder, he watched the new first-years bob across the lake on the boats Septima and Walter had finished fixing just the day prior. When Hagrid's giant silhouette climbed from the first boat, Severus made his way downstairs.

Hermione stayed in their sitting room. The professors with spouses lived in their own homes, but Hermione didn't mind living in the castle even if she did not get to eat in the Great Hall anymore. The house-elves fed her the same meal as everyone else.

Severus entered the Great Hall, already full of the elder students. Miss Weasley paused her conversation to give Severus a smile. He nodded to her politely. The other seventh-year Gryffindors gawked. Miss Lovegood gave him a tiny wave, her Head Girl badge pinned to her blue vest, bright red radishes hanging from her ears. He nodded to her as well. The Ravenclaws gawked.

The Slytherins looked nervous and were more subdued than usual. All the tables were full, more so than they had been last September first.

Neville Longbottom sat at Pomona's right hand at the head table. Hannah Abbott sat next to Poppy as part of a training program for new Healers. Minerva sat in her usual seat, as did Filius, both on either side of Severus's chair. Aurora waited in the Entrance Hall for her first time escorting the first-years to their Sorting Ceremony. The Sorting Hat sat atop its usual stool, the frayed brim burned black. The new Potions professor, a man from Egypt, sat on the other side of Aurora's empty seat, and a retired Auror next to him as the new Defence Professor. Severus hoped this witch would stay for some time—he did not know how many more people they could find qualified to teach DADA.

Severus stood before his seat. The children quieted, still very much afraid of him. He said nothing.

The doors to the Great Hall opened. Aurora led in a small group of small children. Severus sat down.

.

Severus and Hermione readied for their days early in the morning. She would make him bend down for a quick kiss each morning as she drank her coffee and he left for breakfast in the Great Hall. She would leave for Diagon Alley before he returned to his office. The first few months had Severus trying his hand at 'haggling' like Albus had suggested all those months ago, as the school had been nearly drained of funds, even with the donations. Jigger worked Hermione relentlessly but was a punctual man and she was always released from work promptly at 5 PM and given an hour for lunch, which she spent with George at the Leaky Cauldron. Tired of eating dinner alone before the month ended, she frequently went to Grimmauld Place to eat with Potter and Weasley. On Thursdays, Severus ate dinner with Hermione. Fridays were the days for trouble-makers so he insisted he be present in the Great Hall to head them off before the weekend started. She laughed at him and reminded him that dealing with run-of-the-mill troublemakers was no longer his job.

So as the Hogwarts savings account became more robust, Severus had time to relax as headmaster. As a headmaster the governors actually wanted. Albus liked to watch him with a faint smile but he never gave any advice. None of the portraits did without being asked first. Minerva came to take tea with Severus or with Hermione some nights. Neville visited her weekly but tried to slip past Severus's office without Severus noticing. Hermione even invited Hagrid up and Severus joined them unprompted. Which made Hermione beam. Severus didn't talk much but Hermione and Hagrid needed no help in the conversation department. But all of this happened at Hogwarts, where Severus felt safe and in control.