Chapter Fourteen

We parked in the driveway and got out, looking over at the house as Anthony got out his things from the truck. Felt weird to be back here, walking slowly to the house, getting the key under the mat.

Going inside, turning on the light. Heard footsteps behind me, 'Least I won't be alone in here.' sideways, glancing at Anthony, "Must be weird staying in this house again?" after he and my mom broke up. He nodded at that. I showed him up to the guest room, "Probably wouldn't want to stay in the master bedroom after all?"

"Depends. Does the guest one have a private bathroom?"

"Oh yeah, it does," I opened the guest room and showed him inside. It had two windows, a desk, brown leather recliner. And a queen bed. I led him to his bathroom. Showing him a good-sized tub. With a pull-out shower head. The toilet had a sign next to it, 'Sit when peeing, and close the lid when done.' I looked over at Anthony, "You don't need to follow that rule. Well, you probably want to settle down, so I will leave you be." 

Walked out of the room and went over to my old room; it was quite dusty, with spider webs. Some webs had a spider in them. One was a black widow. I gaped at this, 'Probably should do something about that?' Instead of killing it though, I decided to head to the kitchen and get a container and a lid. My pants buzzed; it was Pete. Wanting to know why I hadn't said anything up till now. I told him the reason behind it before heading back to my room.

He told me he understood that reasoning. I caught him up on everything now, and I was staying with someone that is looking out for me. 'He even bought me a guitar,' I texted. Looking over at it. 'Should look for my songs in the basement.' Then remembered my dad saying that he had written to me. 'Was my mom keeping them from me?' 

I walked down the basement, looking over at the boxes down there. Looking for the one that says 'Unimportant stuff.' To keep my mom from snooping and shredding them. It was under another box. I was trying to move it out of the way, making it fall on the floor, things spilling on the floor. Cursed under my breath.

"What are you doing?" I heard behind me.

I looked over at Anthony, "I have written some songs in the past, was just looking for them." I knelt down to clean up the mess. He knelt beside me, helping out. This shocked me, 'He doesn't need to help me.' There were some unopened letters on the floor. I gaped, realizing they were addressed to me. I grabbed one, looking at the return address. "This is...from my dad." I looked at the other ones and decided to gather them up, 'Don't have much to say to him, though.' Will just read them. My phone started ringing, looking at the caller ID. "It is my cousin; excuse me for a second." I walked up the stairs, answering, "Hey, how's it going?" I heard her sobbing on the other line, "What happened?" I wondered, shocked.

"I heard what happened to your mom; I am really sorry."

"Yeah, it sucks, but someone is taking care of me till she comes back." This made my cousin, Kylie, sob even more. Then it hit me, "She is not coming back to get me, is she?" I looked over at the basement door, 'That's why he has been so nice to me, isn't it?'

"I am sorry, but she is planning on...getting rid of you..." she starts sobbing again, "no matter what happens, you will always be my cousin." I fell to the ground, cupping my mouth, "And you can always live with my mom and me."

Tears were coming out of my eyes. "I prefer staying here, but thanks for the offer. Thanks for letting me know; I know that was hard on you." I went over to the basement, "I will talk to you later." She had more to say, but I hung up, walking down the steps. Anthony was still picking up the things on the floor. I collapsed to the ground, "She doesn't want me anymore..." I put my face in my hand, "It is why you were so nice to me, wasn't it?" 'It all makes sense now.'