10. the weathervane (derogatory)

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"Why are you standing next to a pilgrim?" Iris asks as her Wednesday stand beside each other in the quad, inspecting the place shown in the drawing where the school will go up in flames.

"What pilgrim?" Yoko's voice is heard a few steps behind Iris, causing Wednesday to shut the book and put it in her bag without a word as Iris spins slowly, not wanting to forgive Yoko for keeping the Nightshades thing a secret but also not really being that mad about it. "Iris," she then says as Iris just looks a little past her nonchalantly and Wednesday walks off, probably to find Enid.

"I'm not mad," Iris communicates with a sigh. "But was the tying me to a chair really necessary?"

"That was all Bianca, I swear," Yoko assures. "You didn't notice how loose yours were? I paid Kent 5 bucks for that."

"I just thought whoever did it didn't know how to tie a knot," Iris explains emphatically.

"Maybe that was a part of it too," Yoko nods in thought.

Weems clapping her hands and starting to talk interrupts the girls's conversation as well as the conversation of the rest of their classmates around them. "All students will report to their volunteer jobs at 10 am sharp," her grating voice announces. "Followed by a community lunch at 1:00. As you know, this year Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students." Something something. Representatives. . . blah blah. . . volunteer slips.

"What'd you get?" Yoko asks as soon as they rip their envelopes open to see where they'll be volunteering. "Please say Pilgrim World, it's such a nightmare to do it alone," she then shows Iris her slip.

"The Weathervane," Iris displays her own.

"UGH."

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"Go talk to him," Iris hears Wednesday's orders as they get off the indigo school bus in Jericho, Iris watching Xavier staring at a white painted wall.

"What? Why?" Iris stares at her sister who's looking around her at all sides to take in their surroundings.

"There's more to this Rowan business we have to find out. Xavier's the only one who knows anything right now," she explains before easily walking off, leaving Iris to sulk for a moment knowing she's right before walking up behind Xavier.

"Why are you staring at a blank wall?"

"It wasn't blank last outreach day," Xavier answers curtly.

"Are you seriously mad about me turning down your offer?"

"I went out on a limb for you."

"You didn't even tell me the whole thing existed!" Iris finds herself getting heated. "And I know you were just doing it as some kind of ammo against Bianca in whatever is going on between you two."

Ah, so maybe that's why she's mad. Are you seriously jealous, Iris? Definitely not. . . right?

"But whatever," she dismisses her thoughts and the topic itself. "Have you talked to Rowan since his so-called expulsion?" Iris turns to face Xavier who already looks tired of the conversation.

"Is Wednesday putting you up to this?" He starts walking away, but Iris follows after him anyway.

"Can you just answer? You owe me for not telling me about the Nightshades."