19. high tensions

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"Xavier," Iris wants to leave the room the second she walks in.

It's like the basement of the police station, were they hold the really bad people before sending them off to a stronger prison. It's cold - and not the kind of cold Iris likes, but the worst part is Xavier himself behind the bars, with chains around his neck, wrists, and waist.

"How did you get down here?" Is the first thing he asks, walking closer to the bars so him and Iris are really only two feet apart if you don't include them.

"I don't have much time," Iris really only has one thing on her mind. "I've talked to Wednesday-" Xavier scoffs. "She said she found out Tyler's the Hyde through a vision," Iris continues anyway. "And since you have this psychic connection with the monster, if you've drawn anything-"

"I'm sorry," Xavier genuinely interrupts this time. "Your sister wants me to help her after she totally ruined my life?" Xavier stares.

"Well, she's trying to fix it," Iris takes another step closer, slightly surprised by his reaction. "And this is to help you, don't you want to get out of here?"

"Why? So everyone looks at me as the guy who was accused of being a serial killer?"

"Wrongfully accused," Iris doesn't see how is argument makes any sense. "Why are you being so weird about this when I'm trying to help?"

"Now you wanna help?" Iris straightens her back away from him. "None of this would've happened if you had just told Wednesday it wasn't me."

"I tried!" Iris is mad at him now. "I thought she was going to forget about it after the Rave'n, I didn't even know you were still apart of her list of suspects until last night."

"Your list of suspects," he emphasizes, and Iris recognizes the correction all too well. "You can act like you didn't care about the investigation, but you still care about your sister. . . more than you could anyone else. You always talk about how she's in her own world and you two are oh so different, but you're exactly the same," Xavier psychoanalyzes heatedly. "You both only look out for yourselves and each other and are afraid of forming relationships with people who you think will overpower that bond."

"You think me standing here right now is me looking out for myself? Is me being scared to form a relationship with you?" Iris spits his words back at him. "You don't even know how mad I was at Wednesday for getting you arrested in the first place, how mad I still am, you think I would've forgiven her about something like that that easily?" Iris hates that this conversation is happening.

"You've barely even talked to me since we kissed."

What? "Sorry, I haven't found the time between that and you getting arrested."

"I just mean that I'm waiting for you to realize that the world doesn't revolve around you and I'm not doing anything on your terms."

". . . Do you hear how ridiculous you sound right now?"

"I can't do this with you right now, Iris. Please, just get out."

Iris stomps up the stares just as it looks like Wednesday is running out of luck with the guards, and sneaks past them to start the walk home and debrief with her sister.

"Well?" Wednesday urges, Thing getting the hint as well and crawling his was into Wednesday's bag as they leave the station.

"He's such an idiot."

"I could've told you that," Wednesday sulks with her sister as she realizes they need to come with a new plan by the time they get back to the school.

They walk in silence for the most part, until Iris feels the need to break it.

"Sorry I couldn't get him to help."

"You don't have to keep apologizing for things that aren't your fault."

"Sorr- okay."

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Okay so.

Wednesday got kidnapped because she was gonna get expelled for torturing Tyler after finding out he was the Hyde, but then she convinced Weems to pretend to be Tyler so she could confront Thornhill who Eugene told her was the real evil person, but then Thornhill killed Weems and took Wednesday to Crackstone's Crypt where she needed Wednesday's blood to bring Joseph Crackstone back to life so he can kill all of the outcasts. Iris and Thing enlisted the help of Enid and the Nightshades to get everyone out of the school, and Enid and Thing went to look for Wednesday, Thing freeing Xavier from the cop car he was still in after the sheriff left it in the middle of the woods because he had to go check out creepy sounds.

Iris saw Wednesday has made it back to the school, and so had Crackstone and they have some freakish battle, and Iris stepped in with a bow and arrow which failed miserably, but then Wednesday took the arrow for her when Crackstone turned it around to hit her instead, so she's not really mad about the whole imprisoning Xavier thing anymore. Iris then had to go save some of the other kids who were in the quad, but when she was done with that, she saw Wednesday losing against Crackstone's magic staff thing. Iris craftily took the poison laced birthday gift knife that she had started carrying in her pocket and stabbed Crackstone from the back with it. This failed just as miserably as the arrow, but at least it distracted Crackstone long enough for Wednesday to come and stab him in the heart with a sword shard, causing him to catch on fire and, like, explode.

"He said what?" Yoko makes Iris repeat as the two girls stand on the steps in the main area of the school.

The rest of semester has been canceled, because. . . y'know, so everyone's mostly just hanging around right now, saying their goodbyes to their friends as if they aren't going to make plans to meet up over break as soon as they get home.

"He said I acted like the world revolved around me!" Iris is glad she doesn't have any real problems so she can complain about how annoying Xavier is.

"Who does he think he is?" Yoko is good at matching her energy.

"Right! Like, I broke into jail for him-"

"Hey, Iris." Oh, that's so awkward. "Can we talk?"

"I'll see you," Yoko stands up as a goodbye, leaving room for Xavier to come up from behind and take her spot next to Iris.

a/n:
one more chapter 🙃🙃