16. task completed

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Enid has been sleeping on an air mattress on the floor of Iris and Yoko's dorm ever since her and Wednesday had a falling out.

Iris hasn't spoken to Xavier since. . . since they had their moment that was interrupted by Wednesday who wanted Iris to come with her to the Gates' Mansion. Iris denied the request, thinking she could go back to Xavier and pretend they weren't interrupted- er. . . pretend nothing really happened, rather. Then, he ghosted her, so.

Wednesday and Iris are sharing an umbrella at the moment, all of the Nevermore student and all of the town at Mayor Walker's funeral after he passed by getting hit by a car.

It's pouring rain, Iris's favorite weather in any other occasion, but she's on edge at the moment. Every time she turns around there's something new to add to the investigation and Wednesday can see it too. She's slowly pushing herself away from everyone as she gets far too in over her head, and Iris just hopes she can pull her out before it's too late.

"Let's go," Wednesday must've seen something Iris didn't, because she suddenly drops their umbrella and starts running to their left as the funeral starts to disperse.

Iris easily follows after her, also catching a glimpse of some figure dressed in all black running away from them. They go through puddles and around trees, but stop each other in a slight clearing as they realize they've lost him.

Iris is ready turn back when they hear someone drop from a tree onto the leaves, lifting their head and grinning at the two girls.

"Uncle Fester."

The three start walking back through the woods, Uncle Fester in the middle as the girls walk around him, asking him questions.

"How long have you been stalking us?" Wednesday starts.

"Just blew into town this morning and got hit by a wave of nostalgia," he explains.

"I thought you didn't go to Nevermore?" Iris asks.

"No, but I would drop in on your dad from time to time. Usually from the ceiling with a dagger between my teeth."

"Of course," Wednesday nods. Iris hasn't seen her smile so much since they started at Nevermore.

"He filled me in on what's been going on," Uncle Fester then says. "Murder. Monsters. Mayhem. . . What fun!" He then explains how he had a job in Boston but was willing to check in on them.

"What kind of job?" Iris is intrgued.

"The kind where I need to lay low for a couple of days," he says, kinda expectantly. Wednesday knows exactly where to take him.

They're all in Eugene's bee shack thing when they can finally debrief about everything that's been going on. Uncle Fester explains how the monster they're after is called a Hyde. Meaning it also has a master. So, they're looking for two serial killers. Great.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"You can't seriously be letting Enid stay with you permanently," is how Wednesday greets Iris as she sits in the hallway of her dorm, reading her book so the smell of nail polish doesn't burn her nostrils forever.

"Why would I do that?" Iris doesn't look up from her book.

"It's just- that's what she was saying Yoko was saying. . . I mean, I knew it was ridiculous. Three people in one room? You'd never agree to that."

"Yeah," Iris then looks up. "I mean, she was saying how she would switch rooms with me," Wednesday's eyes widen. "But I told her you guys would get over whatever fight you're having right now," Iris then assures, and Wednesday nods.

"Right, well," Wednesday seems to move form that topic. "I'm going to find the diary with information about the Hyde in Nightshade's Library, I'll let you know what Uncle Fester and I find."

And Iris nods in response before going back to her book and Wednesday walking off to complete her mission.

"What are you doing?" Xavier somehow always manages to be walking past wherever Iris is at any given moment.

He takes a seat next to her, and Iris puts her bookmark in and her book down to have a real conversation with him. Okay, is it happening?

Iris hasn't really been able to process the fact that they were about to kiss since it happened. On one hand, she did think Xavier was hot when they first met, and ever since their fencing lesson she's been into his company. But she knows him and Wednesday hate each other, and that's kinda a turn off. And he's a great guy, and what if they push this so much so that they can't even be friends anymore? Why ruin a good thing?

Then again, why is she letting Wednesday be a factor in this situation? It's not like she ever comes to her about things with Tyler. And Iris doesn't really like Tyler, so. Don't get her wrong, he seems like a chill guy, but, like, c'mon now.

"What they kick you out of your dorm or something?" Xavier then jokes as Iris realizes she never answered his original question.

She turns her head so they're shoulders are brushing and their eyes are on each other's.

She leans in and kisses him.

He seems to be taken by surprise - understandably - but he kisses back easily, his hand coming up to Iris's face as he runs his thumb over her cheekbone.

"Hey, Iris- Oh my God! Oh my God. Oh my God, I'm sorry. Oh my God," Yoko's voice pulls Iris and Xavier away from each other, but she closes the door to the dorm as fast as she opened it, making it just the two of them in hallway together soon enough.

Once Iris looks away from the door, back to Xavier the two burst out laughing at how awkward that experience got so quickly.

When that moment passes, they hear squeals- screams of excitement coming from inside the dorm and they just start laughing again.

"Oh my God," Iris puts her head in her hands.

a/n:
😋 also my phone is almost dead and my charger is broken so next chapter out rn so I don't keep u waiting for too long 😋