17. almost again

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"It must be him," Wednesday is sitting at her desk with Nathanial Faulkner's diary open to a page on the Hyde as Iris lays on her back on Wednesday's bed.

"I thought we were moving on from this," Iris complains as Wednesday tries convincing her for the millionth time Xavier is the monster.

After their kiss last night, they had to go their separate ways, and Iris did end up switching dorms with Enid, but she hasn't moved much of her stuff yet. Anyway, that just means she didn't have to have and overwhelmingly girly conversation over mani-pedis about her kiss, as she wasn't about to tell Wednesday about it anytime soon.

"I'm going to his art studio," Wednesday stands suddenly, probably planning on meeting Uncle Fester on the way. "I'll let you know what I discover."

"Hmm," Iris just says in response, not sure she really wants to know whatever Wednesday is going to tell her.

She goes the whole day without a word back from Wednesday, but doesn't really worry much because she knows she's with Uncle Fester.

Uncle Fester has always been Iris's favorite, mostly because he reminds her of herself in some ways. Neither are the most malicious in their family, and they're both softer would be socially acceptable. And Iris has always been thankful for him and how he's taught her she doesn't need to be what others expect.

After a minute or two of Iris allowing her spider (who does disappear from time to time but always comes back by the end of the day and nestled in Iris's pocket when she's resting) to crawl around her hands and do tricks off her fingers, Lola scurries away to do her own thing and Iris does similarly.

This time she knows where to go rather then letting the place find her, and she's grateful for the opportunity to play the piano in peace as no one seems to be around her personal closet space.

She isn't sure how long she spends in the room, finally starting to sift through some of the sheet music in the boxes around her and playing new songs that she's never tried before.

"Für Elise?" Iris doesn't know how to tell Xavier the joke isn't as funny as he thinks it is as he walks into the room and takes his spot by Iris's side on the bench.

Iris finishes her piece easily, then turns to look at him. "What are you doing here?" She's not trying to interrogate him, just curious.

"Walking by and heard you," he explains easily. "Wanted to hang out."

Iris isn't really sure how relationships work. Now that they've kissed, are they automatically boyfriend and girlfriend? Is it weird to ask him? What if he doesn't like labels? Is she okay with that?

They end up spending the whole day in there, despite Iris's overthinking, talking about anything and everything. He tells her how he goes to therapy because sometimes he doesn't know if his dreams are real or not, and he feels like he's going crazy because of it.

She tells him she's always felt the opposite of that way about people, and how she's desperate to have something real with anyone because what if it's really just a dream she's made up in her head.

He talks about how his dad never cares, and she talks about how her parents never care unless it involves Wednesday.

She tells him she's sorry for ever thinking he was the monster and that Wednesday won't drop the idea. He says it's okay because at least she believes him.

He asks her if she's ever heard of the song Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls, and she says no, so he plays it for them from their phone. It's on repeat for long enough that she's able to start mimicking the chords on the piano, but then he makes her stop so they can waltz around the room, and they make it a challenge to see who can run into the least amount of boxes at every twirl.

They're both out of breath and laughing as the song ends for the millionth time it's played, but he stops, one hand on her waist, the other in her hand as her other is on his shoulder, their bodies pressed up against each other's. His eyes are staring deep into hers and she never really knows what to do with herself when he looks at her like that.

"How's Lola?" He doesn't ask what she was expecting, but she doesn't complain as she smiles at the fact that he cares.

"Good, I saw her sharing a cobweb with the trophy case spider, so she's grounded right now," she explains as he gives a small laugh. "It's true!" She also laughs as he takes it as a joke.

"I heard your, uh, uncle? Was in town?" They're still slightly swaying to the music.

"Yeah," she nods, not really sure how he knows but not overthinking it. "He's kinda on the run right now."

"I see," he nods understandingly. ". . . Can I ask you a question?" He asks after they're just kind of staring at each other for a minute.

"Okay."