MY FAVORITE THINGS - 2

Alright, I'm gonna get dragged for this for being boring but I don't care! One of the most essential and one of my absolute FAVORITE THINGS is the Apple Notes app for my iPhone.

How often are we out somewhere with friends, eating at a restaurant, listening to that excellent banter when suddenly we're ambushed by the best idea on planet Earth? It relates directly to my WIP! No, it's an entirely new concept

How often are we out somewhere with friends, eating at a restaurant, listening to that excellent banter when suddenly we're ambushed by the best idea on planet Earth? It relates directly to my WIP! No, it's an entirely new concept. Actually, I just overheard an awesome name! "Solette? That's the best name EVER!!" and you need to make sure you don't forget it LIKE ALL THE TIMES YOU'VE SAID YOU WOULDN'T FORGET WHEN YOU'RE IN BED AND HALF ASLEEP AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU WON'T REMEMBER THIS AMAZING THREE-SECOND IDEA IN THE MORNING!!

It was probably such a good idea. (sigh)

So...a notes app? That's your FAVORITE THING? Oh, yes! Honestly, at this point, it's an indispensable tool.

I hated having to take notes in class. It was hard enough staying awake because I wasn't being challenged. I think young Mike was a poster boy for a more student-led education. One that involved napping. But I had to appear as if I was taking notes, so I typically used that time to doodle. Occasionally, when the class was taking forever to finish, I would look at the clock and see how long I could hold my breath. That's why now brain work so good!!

In the post-graduation reality that is "life", we all need to take notes. In fact, I used to carry around a pocket-sized moleskin and a golf pencil. It had its limitations. Now you're never too far away from your phone, and notes are much easier to transfer once they're in text. There are so many note-taking apps out there. Like... so many. I've tried a few of them and ultimately landed on Apple Notes. I use it daily, sometimes hourly. Why do I prefer it? Well... I'm glad you asked, no one!

We've got folders, here. Folders! All the folders you want. You can structure things your way, even folders within folders if you're like me and really like organizing your insanity!

You can integrate your notes into iCloud, which syncs with your other IOS devices making it forever accessible. Of course, you also have the option to email them, store them on google drive, or keep them directly on your phone (which is what I prefer because even though they're digital it makes them feel more tactile and less fleeting and I have trust issues).

The formatting is a basic bitch. Which I looove. Remember, we just need this thing to keep track of creative brain sneezes (trademark Mike Clifford, esq). Title, Heading, Subheading, limited font choices. That sort of thing. You can share your notes, which is a great option when you're writing with a co-author (I see you Robyn Wrangler...) and can export them in numerous ways. Even airdropping.

One feature on the app I have yet to work into the rotation (but I think is awesome) is the ability to hashtag your notes. Based on the tags you included in the note, the app will automatically organize whatever you just wrote into a Smart Folder that you've previously set up. Boom, organized. And, bonus, this lessens the time you will most certainly spend scanning through that disorganized stack of virtual post-its on your phone. One day, I think I'll structure my notes this way. Maybe.

Alright... probably not. But I should.

In fact, I just might do it. (he won't)

***update, I just created a Smart Folder for my main WIP and it was a very good decision! Just drop a hashtag anywhere on your note after you create the Smart Folder and it automatically sorts! I like!**

If, for some reason, other people may have access to your notes and you want to restrict your more confidential content, there are security systems you can integrate where you need a password or facial recognition to open a note. This seems a bit over-the-top IMO, no one is going to steal your concept for Harry Potter and the Frustrating Wizarding Day at Wizard Work, BUT the option is there. Which is nice.

You can add links and photos, you can even import an image directly into your current note. You can use the markup tools to draw directly onto the image if you need to highlight something specific. You can add images via your camera. Even scanning text or a document from an image. Yes. This can convert it into editable text! Unreal. Actually, you don't even need to capture the image first. It can pull directly from the camera while you hold the phone which is an awesome feature and one I've never used. Sounds like a great way to grab a favorite quote from a book you're reading.

So, that's the Apple Notes app. Use the dictation tool, Swype, or type. It's an essential tool for every author to manage their many ideas and to remain productive on the go.

byeeeeeee