HOW TO MARKET YOUR BOOK

Time to go nuts and bolts. This is a question so many indie authors have once the book is finished: How in the world do I market my book??? Well, Mike's here to tell you. And I even put it in a fancy list!

Marketing a self-published novel can be a daunting task. But with the right approach, it's possible to reach a wide audience and build a successful career as an independent author. Here are some tips to help you market your self-published novel effectively:

Build an online presence: Having an online presence is crucial for promoting your book and connecting with readers. Create a website, social media accounts, and a newsletter to keep your readers informed about your latest releases and upcoming events. Use Wattpad to gather your readers into one place where you can continuously remind them of new and old work. Keep and hold their attention, reminding them of who you are and what you're about!

Utilize online book retailers: Online book retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble are great platforms to reach potential readers. Make sure your book is listed on these sites and take advantage of their promotional tools, such as Kindle Direct Publishing and Barnes and Noble Press (formerly Nook Press)

Reach out to book reviewers: Book reviewers are a great way to gain exposure for your book. Look for book bloggers and reviewers in your genre on Youtube and TikTok and send them a copy of your book for review. Pro-tip: Make sure you're not annoying or bothersome. 

Connect with your audience: Building a relationship with your readers is important for promoting your book. Respond to comments and messages here on Wattpad, and engage with your audience on other forms of social media. Try not to start feuds or engage in political drama unless it's part of your brand. Strive to be that genuine, creative person they are seeking interesting content from.

Create a book trailer: Now, this is not so much a thing anymore... but it made the list, okay? Maybe you can do it your own way. Especially on TikTok. A book trailer has always been a great way to showcase your book in an engaging and visually appealing way. Create a trailer that gives a sense of the story and the characters, and share it on social media and your website. Your readers all have short attention spans. Sell them visually! 

Utilize Goodreads: Goodreads is a popular social media platform for book lovers. If you aren't there... I don't understand you and you've probably just woken up from a fifteen-year coma. In which case, don't waste your time watching the Star Wars sequels. Just don't. Anyway... Goodreads. Yeah... Create a profile, list your book, and engage with other authors and readers. Easy peasy. Just don't be annoying and pushy. Don't respond to negative reviews. And really don't even read the reviews. Because if you do, they'll haunt you forever. Okay, maybe it's not-so-easy peasy. 

Run ads: Running ads on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can help you reach a larger audience. It's not too expensive, you can target them to find the people who will really engage with your shit. Find your people and sell to them. Odds are, they will have ears to listen and money to spend. 

Participate in online book fairs: Online book fairs are a great way to connect with other authors and readers. Participate in these fairs and see if you can have your book featured on their website. It's a long shot, sure, but it's a shot worth taking. Remember, you're trying to sell that book because you got bills to pay! Let's go!

Influencer Marketing: Utilize influencer marketing to reach a large audience. Reach out to influencers in your niche and ask them to promote your book. These people are pyramid peaks. When they say they enjoyed your book, the mass of followers below them will be willing and interested to give your book a shot. Some of them will buy. 

Host a Giveaway: Hosting a giveaway is a great way to generate buzz and get your book in the hands of new readers. Giving away a copy of your book to a reader is never a bad investment. The promotion of the giveaway alone will get people talking. And if they don't win, they might add your book to their shopping list for 2023. 

SOooo there's ten decent things you can do to start getting awareness for your self-published novel. By following these tips, you can effectively market and reach a wider audience. Remember to be consistent and persistent (See what I did there?) in your efforts, and don't be afraid to think outside the box when it comes to promoting your book. Good luck.

Mmmmbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee