FANFICTION IS ART

So, many of you are familiar with me through my Harry Potter fanfiction. There was a time when I was embarrassed to admit this to people. Sometimes I still am. But I've learned over the years that there are a number of hidden reasons why exploring and writing fanfiction is a fantastic way to start your writing career. 

As a student of history, and especially the history of art in 19th Century Paris, I've found some interesting correlations between our particular disciplines. 

For aspiring writers, writing fanfiction can be a beneficial practice as it allows them to study and replicate the style of established authors, much like how painters at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts were classically trained by studying the masters.

One of the main benefits of writing fanfiction is that it allows writers to become familiar with the conventions and techniques of their chosen genre. For example, by writing fanfiction for a popular fantasy series, an emerging writer can learn about world-building, character development, and plot structure. By studying the way established authors have crafted their worlds and characters, inexperienced writers can learn how to apply similar techniques to their own writing.

Another benefit of writing fanfiction is that it allows writers to develop their own voice and style. By writing like their favorite authors, aspiring writers can learn how to manipulate language and structure to create a specific tone or atmosphere. They can also experiment with different writing techniques and styles, such as point of view, dialogue, and pacing, which can help them to develop their own unique voice.

Furthermore, writing fanfiction can also be a way for writers to gain confidence in their writing abilities. By publishing their fanfiction online or on Wattpad, they can receive feedback from other writers and readers, which can help them to identify their strengths and weaknesses as a writer. This feedback can be incredibly valuable in helping to improve their skill and become more confident in their abilities.

Lastly, writing fanfiction can also be a fun and rewarding way for young and green writers to practice their craft. It allows them to explore their favorite stories and characters in new and creative ways, and can provide a sense of community and support among fellow fanfiction writers and fans of popular franchises.

Bringing it all home, writing fanfiction can be a valuable practice for aspiring writers as it allows them to study and replicate the style of established authors, become familiar with the conventions and techniques of their chosen genre, develop their own voice and style, gain confidence in their writing abilities, and have fun while practicing their craft.

So you have no excuse. You shouldn't be ashamed to tell people. You are a student learning the art of storytelling. Get to work. 

Okayyyybyeeeeeeeeeeee