PRIORITIZE REST

Yesterday was the first time I didn't update this book, intentionally contradicting my previous post about writing every day. Instead of creating a new part, I chose instead to rest. I still firmly believe that writing something every day is as necessary as drinking water, but there are all sorts of reasons to prioritize resting one day a week. 

Of course, Sunday is traditionally a day of rest. On the seventh day, God rested. Most employers don't expect you to work. And studies have proved that rest has all sorts of physical benefits in terms of your metabolism, stress level, memory, and immune system. lt also revitalizes you. When we rest, we have better concentration, better mood, and better mental health overall. 

Which I need. 

Our phones have become so integrated into our daily (hourly) lives that we feel incomplete without them

Our phones have become so integrated into our daily (hourly) lives that we feel incomplete without them. But no matter how daunting this sounds, we could all benefit from putting the phone in a drawer for part of the day. 

How do you like to rest? What would you do with your Sunday if you were told to recuperate? Resting doesn't mean lack of activity, by the way. For some, resting might mean going to the gym. Or shopping. Maybe rest means Yoga or getting a pedicure. I know a lot of guys who watch sports to rest or play video games for hours at a time. For a lot of us here on Wattpad, it's reading. Everyone is entitled to their own definition of rest. Find yours and make sure to give yourself that time. Refill the tank for the coming week. 

What did our family do? 

First we went to church, followed by grocery shopping. I made Mexican chicken soup with zucchini and started the dishes, while they built a village of gingerbread houses. We ate that soup for lunch - it's the bomb - then back to washing dishes for me, only this time with a classic Bing Crosby and Bob Hope movie playing in the background. I took a break to see their progress with the gingerbread houses and decorated mine. The kids made their Christmas lists on special paper that shrinks. That way our Elf on the Shelf can easily deliver them to Santa. It's important for this to make logical sense lol! 

With Christmas music playing and the kitchen clean, my family brought out pillows and blankets to set up the living room for movie night while I started slicing up ingredients for dinner: chopped salad and individual homemade pizzas. Everyone added their own toppings (everyone likes different stuff). Mom cut the pizzas, and we sat around the television to watch Home Alone 2 for the first time. Halfway through, we brought out candy bowls, made a plate of assorted cookies, got mugs of hot chocolate for the kids, and the wife and I recreated / hacked an old drink from Argo Tea we used to love back when we lived in Chicago. The White Frostea Chocolate: white tea, with peppermint syrup, white mocha sauce, and milk foam. 

We each cuddled with a different kid while we finished the movie

We each cuddled with a different kid while we finished the movie. I wrapped up the dishes, we read from our Advent book, and the little ones fell fast asleep with hushed instrumental Christmas music playing on loop. 

My Sunday was perfectly restful. I hope all was well with you. AND SO... from here on out, you should not expect me to post on Sundays. 

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee