Chapter 8: Artoria Pendragon (Lancer)

As she wanders through the halls of Chaldea, Artoria Pendragon, Lancer in this most strange of 'Grail Wars', ponders her circumstances

As she wanders through the halls of Chaldea, Artoria Pendragon, Lancer in this most strange of 'Grail Wars', ponders her circumstances. Truly, this is an odd time to find herself summoned into. Still, for the time being, there were no enemies to fight, and so she was wearing her lighter, more casual form of noble dress, rather than her full suit of armor. 

Her current Master, Shigure had had an interesting reaction the first time she'd shed her armor, to say the least. The Lion King still didn't truly understand why she had evoked such a reaction, and Shigure had decidedly not been in a state to explain as he'd been staring unblinkingly at her torso, his eyes glazed over and just a little bit of drool coming out of his mouth. 

Humankind had grown to be quite strange in the time since she'd been alive and roamed the Earth. Artoria didn't mind that though. It was enjoyable, seeing just how far her people and the rest of the peoples of the world had come in her absence. Camelot may not have persisted, but the values that had built its foundation still did, and the land that it had once stood on was now stood on by hundreds of thousands of feet, perhaps even thousands of thousands. 

What had Master said when she asked? Million? Such a number sounded remarkably farfetched to Artoria, but she knew he did not lie when he used it. Truly, the world was as beautiful a place as it had been when she'd last lived. Humanity shone with the brightness of the sun even now, and it was up to them to defend it. 

Of course... there was her daughter to consider. Mordred... was she truly even her daughter? Artoria had heard some things about her other self. It was strange to think that there was a version of her who had died with an underdeveloped body, after somehow impregnating their sister with a child. The Lancer-class Servant was entirely naïve when it came to sex, and thus baby-making as well. Even still, she was fairly certain that a child did not come about from two women. This left her more than a little confused. 

That was the main reason that she'd avoided the girl who was supposedly her other self's daughter or son or something. Artoria hadn't wanted to cause issues. It hadn't seemed like her place to intercede or to really make any sort of move in that direction. That didn't mean Artoria didn't long for some sort of strange reconciliation though. She could- 

A strange noise distracts the beautiful blonde woman from her internal musings. Stopping dead in the middle of the hallway, the Lancer-Class Servant furrows her brow, twitching slightly as she hears it again. It's repeating, now that she's listening, though not at precise intervals. Slowly, Artoria continues down the hall towards the sound, and it grows louder and louder as she moves. 

Belatedly, Artoria realizes where she is just as she locates the source of the noise, staring at a slightly ajar door that she knows leads to Mordred's room. She hadn't... it wasn't as if she'd been stalking her daughter. She'd merely not wished to accidentally run into the other knight just as much as she hadn't wished to purposefully run into her. 

And yet, the sounds are growing louder. They sound like cries, feminine cries at that. Steeling herself at the thought of being forced to confront her daughter, Artoria... skulks forward. Even in just her more casual armor, the voluptuous blonde knight looks a little ridiculous as she creeps down the hall. Luckily for her, there's no one around to see her... but just as unluckily, there IS a security camera recording the hilarious action. After everything that is about to come to pass happens, Shigure will end up obtaining a copy of that recording, for posterity's sake.