3

I stand outside the entrance, the long stairwell even more intimidating from this angle. The cool air blows my hair out of my face, the breeze a stark reminder that this is reality. I suck in a deep breath. I don't know what to think or what to feel. I knew it was a possibility. I knew it could happen. I was prepared for it to happen. But now that it's actually happening, I realise I wasn't prepared at all. I don't even think I had fully acknowledged it as a possibility. It still felt out of reach.

This is what my parents wanted for me. This is what I used to fantasize about. This is what everyone hopes for.

And yet, I'm hesitant. I have so many questions. How did he decide to choose me without even speaking with me? Why didn't he speak with me? When did he choose me? Why didn't he choose one of the other girls?

And now what? I'm supposed to meet him at his house tonight. Am I going to be living there now? What are they going to expect from me? Can I still reject him? He could be a total prick for all I know. I don't even know if we have anything in common, or if this is just going to be a boring repeat of my last courtship. He doesn't even know me. How can he know if he likes me? I know that's part of the point — that we'll be getting to know each other over the coming months. But he has the option to choose. Why choose me over the other girls when he doesn't even know me? He probably knows me the least out of all the girls. Am I just his last option?

"Bianca?" a deep voice sounds from behind me. Valentino steps outside, joining me at the top of the stairs. He's never been this close to me. We're just a few feet apart. I can smell him, or at least, his cologne. It's woody and earthy, with a hint of citrus. He smells exactly how you'd expect — clean and masculine. He can probably smell my perfume, too. I hope he likes it. "Is something wrong?"

"No," I shake my head. "I'm just unsure."

"What's concerning you?" he walks over until he's right by my side. I turn to face him.

"This," I motion between us. His eyes stay glued on mine. I refuse to look away. He searches my face, and I'm sure it tells him everything he needs to know.

"How so?"

"You haven't spoken to me all night."

"Is that an issue?"

"I just assumed you'd want to speak with everyone before you made your decision — give them some kind of indication of what would happen."

"Were you not expecting it?"

"Not at all."

He doesn't respond. He turns away from me, eyeing the view before him. It's nothing special, just a parking lot. It's mostly filled with black SUVs — the standard mode of transportation for anyone of importance in this family.

"You are welcome to reject the offer," he says. "But I would appreciate it if you gave it a chance."

Of course, I will. I'm not stupid. Who wouldn't want to court the boss? It's one step closer to royalty. I'm lucky to even have the opportunity.

"I will," I tell him. He takes a step forward, extending his elbow out to me.

"Shall I escort you to the estate?"

"Right now?"

"If you're willing, yes."

I hesitate for a moment, but I know my decision has already been made. I link my elbow through his. It feels strange. I shouldn't be this close to him. I shouldn't be touching him. He's our padrone. He's always been off-limits. But he's not anymore. Standing next to him feels powerful. It feels safe. And not just because he's the boss. He stands tall and strong. He walks with an air of confidence and authority. He's warm, too.