23

Just one more chapter left!!!! 

Love you guys ❤️🥰❤️

--------------------------------------------

The bright lights from the hangar pour over the tarmac, shining over the Sokolov family and their highest-ranking security guards. They stand beside their aircraft, awaiting our arrival. They're outnumbered. An older man leads the group, with a younger one by his side. They're in charge. Their security team is spread out behind them, anticipating any threats that may come their way. There are only four of them. There are twenty of us. They may have more placed around the airport, but so do we. There are more than forty of us in total, plus a medical team Valentino insisted on bringing. A quarter of that wouldn't fit in their jet.

Valentino leads us forward, calmly making his way towards the family. Five security guards walk behind him, holding Isabella between them. My security team and I follow suit. There are just two of them, one on each side. Valentino wasn't happy with that, but it was most inconspicuous, which is exactly what we want. If it were up to him, there'd be security surrounding me like an impenetrable wall. But that would do us no good in this scenario. I have a job to do. I'm nervous. I haven't done anything like this before. I've never been in a situation like this. It's cold, but I'm sweating. I can't tell if that's my nerves or the bulletproof vest I'm wearing. It's too long and heavy, and not flattering in any way. I'm wearing a t-shirt dress over it. It's all that would fit. I convinced Valentino to wear one, too, but on him, it's barely noticeable. He just looks more muscular. I still don't like that he's ahead of us — the first person in the line of target. But at least we can still communicate. Valentino gave me an earpiece, just in case anything happens. Nothing has yet, and so far, it's only been annoying. Security is on there speaking in code I don't understand, but I know Valentino does. I will have to learn it so I can make sense of it. At least I know I can speak with Valentino if I need to. He's already said plenty of 'I love you' in our time apart, even though it's only been a few minutes, and he's just a few feet away.

Valentino comes to a halt about 25 yards from the Sokolov family, making sure to leave enough distance between them. As soon as he stops, the rest of us do too, except for security guards who are yet to get into position, including myself and my team. We need to be off to the side, in the back. Valentino doesn't speak until we're ready.

"Gregoriy," he states. "I see you brought your son with you."

"Indeed, I did," the older man states. His accent is thick — much thicker than Isabella's. "You did not bring your father."

"No, I did not. There is no role for him here."

"I disagree. I believe you could use a voice of reason."

"Why is that?"

"First, you reject my Isabella and then you imprison her whilst she grieves. Please inform me how that is fair and just."

"Are you suggesting she killed my men out of grief?"

"Why else would she act in such a way? You angered her."

"A failed courtship is no reason for murder," Valentino says. "Your daughter attacked my people. She took the lives of over 100 men and women. She put my fiance in danger, my family, myself... There is nothing that can justify that."

"Ah yes, I heard you found your woman — your commoner," he sneers. "Brave of you to bring her here."

"There is nothing of concern here."

"If only you treated my Isabella that same way."

Valentino doesn't respond. He turns around, scanning the area before landing on me. I want to smile at him, but I don't have it in me. He returns to Gregoriy before I can give him any reassurance.

"That's enough of the pleasantries. Let's get to business, shall we?"

"Please," Gregoriy urges Valentino to continue. "That is why we flew all the way out here, isn't it?"

"In that case... We are prepared to return Isabella to you, on the condition that she refrain from further attempts to harm the family. No attacks, no violence, no threats, no contact."

"And why would you do that? Would you not prefer to have her captive in your own territory?"

"Ideally, yes, but that does not guarantee that no further harm comes to our family. You would inevitably attempt to free her and place us at further risk."

"And what guarantee do you have if Isabella is in our custody?"

"We both know I would capture her again if the attacks were to continue."

"But your risk will remain the same. If she is in your custody, you risk an attack from us, and if she is in our custody, you risk an attack from her. If it's safety you're seeking, it seems you are out of options."

"Which is precisely why we have another proposal for you," Valentino says. "In addition to Isabella, we are prepared to gift you a significant portion of our territory."

"What portion?"

"Alaska."

"Alaska?" the man scowls. "You are prepared to lose such a high-profit location purely for your security?"

"I am," Valentino nods. "As long as we have your absolute guarantee that no further harm will come to our family. If our safety assured, I will trade you Alaska."

"Well, that is certainly a generous offer," he smirks. "One that interests you, I assume."

"Oh, yes," he nods. "It interests us greatly."

"We can offer you 30 minutes to consider this proposal and make your arrangements."

"There is no need for that," he glances at his son for confirmation before turning back to us. "We accept your offer."

Shit. Everything is going to plan. That means I actually have to do it. 

"Fantastic," Valentino says. "Eduardo will deliver you the papers along with Isabella."

One of the security guards walks forwards, Isabella by his side. He stops right in front of Gregoriy and hands him Isabella. His security guards hurry forward, taking her into their custody. Eduardo hands Gregoriy the paperwork. He heads back towards us calmly — much calmer than I would be. Before Gregoriy can open the envelope, his phone starts to ring. He mumbles under his breath, reaching into his jacket pocket and bringing the phone to his ear. 

Shit. Shit. Shit. This is it. 

My heart thumps in my chest. I have one chance to do this and I have to do it right. 

Gregoriy speaks Russian on the phone. I don't understand what he says, but I don't have to. I already know what's happening. He's being told their estate has been attacked. The Stavros family have bombed their home, their main warehouse, and their offices. All of it. They have nothing left. His expression shifts. His eyes darken, zoning in on Valentino. He shoots him daggers. 

Time moves in slow motion. 

I reach over to the security guard beside me, grabbing the gun out of his belt as we planned. Gregoriy shouts something in Russian. His men spring into action, but they're too late. I've already made my aim, and I take my shot, shooting Gregoriy right in the chest. 

He stumbles backwards, and he's not the only one. I shoot and I shoot and I shoot, taking out one member of the Sokolov family after another. It's not until I hear Valentino's voice that I stop, letting our security take over the rest Valentino calls my name, barrelling towards me at rapid speed. A loud bang sounds from behind him, the plane erupting into flames. Valentino takes my hand, forcing me along with him as we run away from the scene, the gunshots still ringing in my ears.