Eternity Is Closest To The Divine

A/N: As Dain recovers, Ista leaves to process her thoughts and emotions. Hiding away in Inazuma for a time, she's not sure what to feel. Then she's approached by one of her nieces...

Who d'you think you're kidding!?
He's the earth and heaven to you
Try to keep it hidden,
Honey we can see right through you
Girl you can't conceal it
We know how you're feeling
Who you thinking of~!!

~"Won't Say I'm In Love" from Hercules

.................................................

Ishtar sighed from where she sat on top of the Watatsumi Shrine's roof. She had always kept a careful eye on her former people that had returned to the surface. But her eyes were on the antique compass in her hand that glistened like tarnished silver. It had been so old and rusty until a touch of her hand restored it anew. The back was carved runes of Khaenrian letters: May this gift guide your wanderings and the lily of the ark return you to me.

A drawn out sigh of longing as she closed it with a frustrated, flustered pout. Down below she watched the priestess return from a cleansing ritual. She looked worried to Ishtar from where she sat with her illusion cast. To them she probably looked like just a normal white dove or finch passing by stopping for a rest. The goddess had a sinking suspicion she knew why...this island was dying. Watatsumi Island's soil was not ideal for crops and it was getting worse due to the activity in the netherworld. The once prosperous nation had sunk during the war with that murdering scum and traitor. The thought of them caused the winds to pick up and howl, responding to her fury before she got a grip of herself. She'd get her vengeance one day but not today.

Her mind began to wander back to Dainslief whom she had left lying in his bed sick, recovering from the contract they had forged. He had looked so sad at hearing she had to leave for a while. But there was understanding too it seemed as he had put the inteyvet lily in her side braid fresh from the vase. There was a tenderless at the memory as she touched the resin-like petals as she flew off for Narukami island. Before frowning as she caught herself with a frustrated sigh to land in the tea garden of her nieces' palace. "What are you doing Ish? It's the situation with that sky kitsune during the war with the dragons all over again..."she mumbled with a tsk gripping the railing in frustration.

"Halt! Who are you to stand in the Shogun's garden?"Ishtar looked over already in a foul mood do to her torrent of emotions as she looked over with a glare of glowing golden eyes. She was in no mood to deal with one of her nieces' samurai guards.

"Be silent."she whispered, snapping her fingers to cause time to freeze. Then with a huff she sat down on one of the cushions and set the compass down onto the table. A melancholy look of longing and frustration. The very idea, she, Ishtar the Goddess of Time but also the original God of Love and War being in love. The notion was laughable!! "What am I doing? Why am I so flustered!?"she sighed, smacking her head onto the table. She knew this wasn't the familiar contract's effect at work as the only thing it did was ensure he followed orders.

"Flustered about what?"Ishtar looked up to see the elegant and gentle indigo haired goddess. Of course her powers had had little effect on her. The fair female thunder spirit yokai standing before her was Nyxia's little one. Her soft, fair appearance against the beautiful purple and lilac kimono is not hard to miss. Being carried in her arms was the cutest and tiniest little kitsune kit of the thunder variety. Fur a plush pastel pink but still had some baby down softness as it slept looking like a curled up pink pom pom.

"Hello adorable lil' niece."greeted Ishtar as Makoto sat down on the cushion across from her.

"I figured it was you, Tokoyo-sama. I tried to get nee-chan to come but she's locked herself up in her chambers. She's been brooding ever since Sasori-san passed away I'm afraid."sighed Makoto.

"No, it is alright. She'll meet me eventually when she is ready to do so. But who's the kitsune yokai in your arms?"Ishtar wondered, reaching over to carefully scratch the yokai toddler behind the ears. The tiny kit not waking up but instead twitched her long ear at the gesture before trying to burrow more into the young archon's arms.

"Oh right you never met. This is Yae Miko, she was recently born into Saigu-san's Clan last summer. She's still just a baby but eventually she'll become my sister's familiar just like how Saigu-san is mine."Makoto smiled in delight.

"It pleases me to see the daughters of my sister have grown into such fine young women. I couldn't be happier and I truly am sorry for your loss of the tengu."Ishtar sighed as her gaze wandered back to the compass. Once again her mind was back to thinking about Dainslief. Was he safe? The king hadn't punished him had he? Was he being looked after!? So many questions raced through her skull.

Makoto could only stare at the way her aunt was behaving. She had seen it many times before with that longing gaze and that sigh. Makoto had seen it with her sister with General Sasori, Morax with Lady Guizhong, and a lot of mortals too. "So who managed to capture the wild heart of the winds?"she pondered thoughtful curiosity. She decided to test this out as she carefully set the sleeping kitsune onto one of the other cushions. Makoto then reached over and grabbed the compass, earning a startled squeak from Ishtar in protest, "Hey that's mine Makoto!!"

"Now what's so important about this trinket that has you in such a state, auntie?"she hummed, keeping it out of reach.

"Baal, give it back he gave that to me for my birthday! It's mine!"pleaded Ishtar as she made a lunge for it only for Makoto to yet again keep it away. Ishtar crashing onto the table with a thud. The glint of mischief in Makoto's face makes the time goddess growl with growing impatience.

"Oh? 'He gave it to you', Who is this man to you?"hummed Makoto as she avoided the older goddesses' attempts to take the compass back.

"Makoto oh so help me you are testing my patience!! Give back the compass Dainslief gave me!!"Ishtar snapped. The scene that was happening was a rather comedic one if anybody had noticed. The niece being chased around the garden by her bad-tempered aunt. "Give me back my compass!!"

"Oh and why should I give back this compass that this...Dainslief gave you?"wondered Makoto with a giggle.

"BECAUSE I LOVE HIM!!"shouted Ishtar before panting. She soon let out an embarrassed yelp as her face turned fifty shades of wine red. "Oh by the creator I'm in love with D-Dain!?"she squeaked in disbelief. The time goddess hid her face in distress as she fell back onto her rear. Makoto's expression was momentarily stunned; her theory was proven factual. This Dainslief had managed to earn the affections of one of the oldest, most powerful gods in Teyvet.

With a soft smile she walked over and carefully set the compass down, "I return your heart to you then Istaroth-hime. You don't need to be so proud, like my nee-chan or kaa-sama. It's ok to be in love and open your heart."

Carefully she looked over to see the compass Makoto had placed beside her. Without hesitating she grabbed it stroking it with such tender affection. "Maybe not out loud would be ok to admit it but Makoto is right...please would it be alright to love again?"she thought with such tender adoration in her softened expression. Her golden eyes threatened to have tears fall. However she remembered the reason for her visit. In a swirl of wind a simple small sachet appeared in her hand.

"I thought about your request and this is my answer. Take good care of it, child for the sake of your sister and the nation you love."Ishtar said carefully, handing her the gift.

"Arigato~!"thanked Makoto in delighted tears of her own. Now she had a fail safe plan to turn to should anything happen to her. Something to cradle and protect her nation and sister until Ei realized the true eternity was not stasis and stillness. The true eternity was dreams and ambitions that blazed and paved the way forward straight to the heavens. Ishtar let out another yelp as her niece hugged her which after the shock she gladly returned.

"That's my line, my dear eternal thunderbolt."she hummed. "But I stayed too long, I should leave now."

"Safe travels then dear auntie."waved Makoto with a smile as she watched her leave. Time resumed around her after Makoto took a seat at the table holding Miko in her arms. The soldier was startled to see the shogun sitting there. Only for Makoto to shrug it off and shoo the man away. Enjoying the breeze that now held a warmth and tenderness to it as the thousand winds of time left on her way, a soft melody to ring in humanity's ears in hushed harmonies.

To Be Continued...