Chapter 14

I wake up and sit up from the sore bed. Looking around, white curtains keep me hidden from view. Poppy enters right then and there and looks at me. She places down her tray and walks over to me.

"Poppy, please tell me what you said was a dream?"

"I am afraid not. The darkness you shrouded your heart with now is removing it. The darkness and cold stone are breaking and turning into a shadow."

"What will happen to me then?"

"After your heart turns into a shadow, your body will follow and soon you will become a shadow. Can't go into the sunlight and must remain in the darkness."

My lips part and I lower my gaze to my lap. It can't end like this, I know I am not dying but this is worse. If I cannot go into sunlight, then all the moments and dreams I had with Tom and our future children laying on a beach or in a bright sunny meadow are destroyed. 

"There has to be a way to fix this," I demand Poppy not allowing this to stop me from being with my mate.

"There is a way but it has to be solely on you to do. Unaided and alone."

"Tell me."

"You must venture to a place where magic has always been strong. There is a tree where water pours down from its flowers. You must wallow in the pool and drink directly from one of the flower water jets. The magic in the water will swirl and change you. After drinking, you must lie in the water on your back and allow the magic to do anything to you."

"what will the magic do?"

"That is up for the tree to decide. The souls that go and drink its waters give up their life to the tree. Meaning, you lay your life in the tree's hands to change your fate. The tree could drown you or can save you."

"So it is a life and death situation."

"Yes. You can remain as a shadow and stay as you are with all your magic or you rest your fate in the tree's hands and allow yourself to change."

"When you say to change what do you mean? Physical? emotional? Magical?" I narrow my eyes worried about this.

"Everyone is different. That is also why very few allow themselves to go to the tree. Nobody knows what the tree will do or decide in doing to you."

"What if the tree decides on killing me? I am the master of death, I can't die."

"That is up to the tree to decide and worry about." Gulping, I nod and get out of the wing. "Oh, Harry I forgot to tell you. Your heart is already half gone. You have at least three days before you turn into a shadow."

I whirl and gawk at Poppy. Her lips are pressed into a thin line and guilt is in her eyes. She did not want it to come to this but it has. I nod and walk out toward the dining hall. The stars and moon shining in the sky outside inform me it is dinner time. 

"You look pale Harry. You alright?" Sirius and Remus are sitting on my right.

"I am. Just haven't eaten lunch." they nod and talk more about their discussion. Looking at everyone, my heart clenches. If the tree decides on killing me, who will be the next headmaster? Who will look after Tom? I finally fixed this world and now I might not live long enough to enjoy it. Just when I thought the fight was over. It is not. Not for me anyway.

I catch my gaze on Draco and he sends a questioning look my way. I shake my head and his eyes narrow. He knows something is up and I won't be able to evade him. I sigh and enjoy the meal for it can be my last. I may be afraid of what fate has in store for me and from previous experiences, nothing good comes out of it. I have a choice to be a real shadow clad in black and remain in darkness or go to the tree and have its magic change me. Change me into what I wonder. Will I be turned into a muggle? Will I lose my dark creature? Will Tom accept this?

I am so sorry Tom. I am so sorry for everything I might be putting you through. You have been accepted into this world and found love even when you thought it was impossible and now with my fate changing, I might have to leave you. I don't want to. God, I sound like a lovestruck girl but I don't care. I love Tom Marvolo Riddle and not even the tree or fate is changing that. 

A scary thought enters my mind making me take a double gulp of the pumpkin juice in my goblet. What if fate changes my life? Return me to the Dursleys, erase my memory, and makes me endure that hellish life once more? No, I am not accepting that. If that is fate's sick humor then forget it. I would rather be a shadow and continue life with Tom than never have this life at all.

I still must go to the tree. I know it will break Tom's heart and I will probably live with guilt for the rest of my life but if the tree will help me stay alive then I have to. I watch the students go to their dorm to sleep unaware I am going to leave. Probably for good.

I walk through the hallways taking every stone wall and pillar, glass window, and essence of magic in my system before I take off. I end my walk in my study and I write a long letter to everyone and one private one to Tom. Explaining what happened and what they could decide on their own. If I am to die, then this will be my last written letter with all that I hold with desire and love. 

If I am to die and never come back, Tom will have all the money I have, all the houses I own, and allowed him to drink the potion I made to get rid of the non-love spell on him. He deserves to move on when he wants to if I am never to return.

'I love you, Tom. Always and forever.'

Leaving my wand on the desk on the letters, I apparate to the tree. The tree in my mind, my guts swirl, my head gets squashed and my lungs beg for air. Staggering when my feet land, I blink away the massive headache and look at what is in front of me. Here goes nothing and everything.