MSMC Bk 3 - Chapter 9

Chapter 9-Eagle & Annalisa find a house.

The next two weeks were really busy with building the second level in the garage and unloading the house of what could be salvaged. Rooster had checked into having POD's brought onto the property but we would need at least a dozen of them and that was going to be outrageously expensive. He made some calls and found that he could buy empty full size containers for less money and they would be ours to keep. He ended up buying four of them for about as much as it would cost us to rent the dozen POD's for two weeks.

Two we filled up with stuff that we were able to salvage in furniture. And the third turned into a makeshift bar/kitchen and storage area for things like paper goods and non-perishable foods and the fourth was what was in the garage. We needed the space for our men to be able to sleep. We put the stoves from the kitchen, the microwaves and coffee machine in one and at least the men were not having to eat take out all the time or going to town to eat.

We even discovered that a few of the men could cook, mostly BBQ or "camping food". Nothing fancy but they kept their brothers fed while the construction was going on. The women took turns making side dishes and we just carried it down to the campsite.

The insurance company came out and approved the claim. I think it was more because of all the big men standing around with their arms crossed and staring at him while he did his inspection. The claim on the bikes was pretty cut and dried and the men who lost their bikes were anxious for the check to come in to go shopping for their new rides.

Rooster had an architect come out and help him draw up plans for the new club house and a month after the incident with the Cobra's, we were breaking ground on the new club house.

The cold weather was going to be here soon and even though Texas doesn't usually get much snow, the weather man was broadcasting that we were facing record colds possible this year.

That seemed to put the fire in the men who were sleeping either in tents or in the uninsulated garage to work hard and fast. Some of the members from other chapters of the Monster Slayers nearby, heard about what had happened and sent some of their members with construction skills to help us, for which we were going to be eternally grateful.

But what really surprised us was that townspeople came out to either help or the women were bringing covered dishes. They would show up by the van loads and feed the guys a variety of food from mac and cheese to ham and cheese sandwiches. Men showed up with their hammers and ladders, saws and drills and were prepared to jump in and help wherever they were needed.

Most everyone spent from sunup to sun down, doing as much as possible to get the new house finished and it was coming along great. Everyone seemed very pleased with the log lodge look that had been chosen for the outside and I have to admit, it did look very impressive.

Annalisa and I spent at least part of every Sunday riding around with Carmella happily gurgling in her carseat in the back of the Toyota Rav 4 that I bought for Annalisa. We had checked out the house that Mrs. Gilbreath's son had on the market but he was asking way too much for the tiny little place. The rooms would have made me claustrophobic because they were just too small.

One Sunday, we had been invited to Hunter and Marley's house for dinner and were driving back from a ride in the countryside when we drove past a house where the owner was out pounding a for sale sign in the yard.

"That's a nice place." Annalisa said as I slowed down to check it out from the road before we reached the man. I looked around and she was right, it was a nice place.

"This is not far from Hunter and Marley either. Their place is only a mile or so from here. Do you want to stop and ask how much they are asking?" I asked her.