MSMC Bk 3 - Chapter 23

Chapter 23-Christmas with Millie's family

Just as we reached the baggage claim, we heard a loud "Grandma!" and a small little ginger haired girl came running towards us with her arms held wide.

"Jessica! Oh, how good to see you again! Where's your mom and dad?" Millie exclaimed as she caught the little girl and lifted her up for a hug.

"Mommy is home cooking and Daddy's right behind me." Jessica smiled at Millie and then looked over her shoulder and saw me and asked, "Who is that?"

Jeremy joined us just then and he and Millie hugged each other warmly. "Hi Mom! Surprised?" He was slightly shorter than me and had a lean slightly muscular build. Dark brown hair and warm brown eyes and Millie's smile made me like him instantly.

"Oh Jeremy. It's so good to see you again. Jeremy, Jessica, I want to introduce you to my fiance, Dr. Dave Conners. Dave, this is my son, Jeremy and his daughter, Jessica." Millie said.

Both of them gave me a big smile and Jeremy immediately stuck out his hand to me. "Welcome, Dr. Conners. We're so glad you could come and bring my mom for Christmas. It's been a long time since we've been able to celebrate this holiday with her and we've missed her."

I took his hand and we exchanged firm handshakes as we looked each other directly in the eye. All I saw was acceptance on his face and I breathed a small sigh of relief, then I said "Please, call me Dave. Very nice to meet you and thank you for allowing me to join in your holiday celebration. I know it wouldn't have been a very happy one for me, if I had to spend it without her."

"Sharon sent me to the store for more cinnamon and powdered sugar so since I had to come out anyway, I decided to come meet you. How many bags do you have?" Dave asked.

"Just two. If you can help Millie with them, I'll go see about the rental car. I reserved one that is supposed to be ready for me here at the airport." I told them.

"Sure. We'll be waiting outside of the exit to the rental place for you or you can wait there if you get there before us. I drive a red Jeep Cherokee with yellow safety lights on the roof." Jeremy said.

"Good deal." I said, gave Millie a quick kiss on the cheek, told her I'd see her soon and left to walk to the rental car area. I stopped to check a map of where I needed to go and realized that I was going to have to walk a long way and would still have to catch a shuttle to get there. Figuring it would take me a good half an hour to get there, if I didn't have to wait on a shuttle, I decided to ask if Jeremy could drive us over there. I turned around and went back to where Millie and Jeremy were waiting for the bags.

"Hey, I just looked at the map and it's a major hike and a shuttle ride to get to the car rental area. Do you think you could drive us over?" I asked.

"Sure. I haven't ever flown in on United before so I wasn't sure how far you would have to go but I do know that Denver is not laid out very well and the shuttles are a pain in the butt." Jeremy said.

"Oh, here comes my bag and I think that one is yours." Millie said as she began to step towards the conveyor belt.

"I'll get it, Mom." Jeremy said as her bag came closer to us. There were alot of people shoving and pushing to get to their bags but we managed to collect our bags without much trouble. We were thankful now that they both had wheels as we pulled them behind us to go to the parking area where Jeremy had parked. Millie, as promised, pulled out her phone and called Sally to tell her that we had arrived.

"Jeremy came to meet us and is going to lead us to your house. Please have some coffee for us when we get there. It's really cold out here." Millie told her daughter.