Chapter Four

Don't panic. Panicking makes the wound worse. Think of Hayley, the baby, and getting them out of this unharmed.

    But what does Tyler plan on doing to them? He knows the baby is Klaus's, but taking us to the middle of nowhere will only hide us for so long. And if we're being leveraged, why take us without wanting Klaus to know who took us? Wouldn't that make the negotiating process faster?

    My shoulder aches as the old car hits another pothole.

    "You've got to be doing that on purpose," I comment bitterly, side-eying him from the passenger seat. I move to adjust my bound hands, wincing as the vervain seeps into new parts of my skin.

Tyler doesn't say anything, making me sigh.

"Look, I don't know what's going on in Mystic Falls, but you didn't have to bring its drama here," I continue. "Your friends don't deserve that."

Finally, he scoffs. "You think I'm doing this for some small town? I've been working on destroying Klaus all summer. Imagine my surprise when I saw my friends hanging around the plantation he owns."

"You're hurt," I acknowledge, "I understand, but maybe if you would listen to us, you wouldn't feel the need to go this far."

"You don't even know what I'm doing."

"Then tell me," I plead. "Or don't, but I want reassurance that you won't hurt that baby."

"You don't deserve reassurance. Not when you're sleeping with the enemy. Does everyone else know?"

"Yes," I admit, "and everyone is content with it. It's not just sleeping around, Tyler, it's—"

The glass window from the trunk suddenly breaks, letting me know Hayley is up and fighting. Tyler sighs before pulling over.

"Stay here," he tells me before getting out of the car. I promised him I won't fight, but promises are irrelevant when it comes to the enemy.

I open the car door when he opens the trunk to mask the sound.

"Seriously?" he remarks as Hayley tries to kick him.

Stay silent, I remind myself, but every move I'm making makes my shoulder burn.

"Tyler?" Hayley reacts incredulously.

"You don't want to fight me, Hayley," he snaps as I make the zip ties holding my hands together taut. "You know you can't beat a hybrid."

I'm close enough to act.

I jump, looping my bound wrists over his head before pulling back close to me once it aligns with his neck.

Tyler falls to his knees, choking and gasping as the vervain digs into his skin.

"Hayley, run!" I command, looking her in the eye. Hayley doesn't hesitate and slides off the trunk before she takes off.

Her wrists are still bound and I wish I could've done something, but I need to focus on making sure Tyler stays here. I don't trust his intentions.

"You can't beat a hybrid either, Gabby," he grits out. He reaches up, blindly grabbing my hair before flipping me over.

"Shit," I curse as I land on my bitten shoulder.

He runs after Hayley, who didn't make it as far as I would've liked but that doesn't matter. It only takes a second before I hear Hayley struggling again.