Chapter Fourteen

There is nothing better than a hot shower to wash your worries away. I almost regret stepping out of it. If I could, I'd stay here forever. It's almost as comfortable as our couch.

Unfortunately, I can't stay. I need to talk to my sister because I haven't spoken to her since she broke it off with Damon last night. I haven't spoken to Damon since he ripped out Aaron Whitmore's throat. I haven't spoken to Stefan or Caroline since they admitted to knowing about what happened with Tyler and me in New Orleans.

Ugh, all of this thinking is giving me anxiety. I need a real drink. Maybe I'll grab a bag after I get dressed.

I stop looking at myself in the mirror so I can wrap my towel around me. As hot as I am, the day awaits.

I shiver once I open the bathroom door due to the abrupt temperature change. I start to move toward my dresser only for the sight of Damon lying on my bed to make me freeze.

"Damon!" I scold in surprise, pulling my towel tighter. "Get out!"

His head is slightly propped due to his hands tucked beneath it. His ankles are crossed and the smirk he's giving me indicates he doesn't plan on obliging.

"Relax, Wildfire, I've seen it all before." He gives a dismissive wave, making me narrow my eyes. "I'm offering you an opportunity."

My brows furrow. "Why would I care about what you have to offer? You screwed up, Damon."

He shrugs and slides off of my bed. "Fine," he says casually, "I guess you don't want in on finding Doctor Wes Maxfield."

Admittedly, my interest is piqued. I promised that asshole I'd torture him for what he did to Elena and me. I should have ripped his throat out by now, but he's been missing and I haven't had the time to search for him.

"You're looking for Doc?" I question. I frown at him. "I distinctly remember suggesting that in lieu of killing Aaron."

"'In lieu?'" He mocks. "You've only dated Klaus for a few months and your vocabulary has improved."

"Don't be an ass," I snap. "I tried to stop you last night. Why would you want my help now?"

"Three's better than two." He shrugs. "I thought you'd want in considering how much you want him dead. But if you don't—"

"No," I'm quick to respond. "I want in, but you need to promise me we aren't going to hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it."

"I don't need to promise you anything," he retorts. "You're gonna join us either way."

My jaw clenches because we both know he's right. I can't resist vengeance, even if it's as small-scale as this.

"Get out," I snap. "I'll meet you downstairs after I change."

Damon gives a devious smirk and I realize it's something I haven't seen in a long time. Before he got with Elena.

It worries me.

He leaves and I have to resist the urge to scream out of frustration.

————

I'm greeted by the mess of shattered bottles, broken furniture, and a bloody carpet when I make it downstairs. My eyes widen at the sight.

    Damon's speaking, but I don't see who he's talking to until I'm in the living room. I cringe at the sight of Stefan.

    Stefan's gaze flits to me once I step into view. His look softens. "Is the situation in the driveway why you ran off last night?" he asks, gesturing to the front door with his thumb.