Chapter One (Season Five)

Before I start, I'd like to say, thank y'all. Y'all have been so supportive throughout this whole journey (the first and second time). To think I started this in 2015 and started rewriting in 2018? And some of y'all have been here since then (by some I mean very few but y'all are always appreciated)

So thank you.

    "I'm gone for a week and you couldn't be bothered to pick me up from the airport?" I snap at my phone. Of course, no one answers because it went straight to voicemail.

    A month into summer and hardly much has changed since I left Mystic Falls. Well, that's a lie. Klaus and I...we've had our fun. He's taking this whole courting business as seriously as I am.

    So far...everything's been perfect.

    Don't get me wrong, the whole 'taking back New Orleans' plan Klaus has been working on has taken up some of our time together, but I actually don't mind. It's not like how it was in Mystic Falls: I'm not pushing aside my happiness for the sake of others. I get to stand beside him and when he asks, I get to help.

    However, I did have to leave for a week. Klaus didn't feel comfortable with his enemy knowing of my existence, so we decided it'd be best if I left for a week while he figured something out.

    I have no clue what happened after I left. Klaus hasn't revealed too much and neither has Rebekah. I don't keep in contact with Hayley that much—we're not close like that.

    But damn the whole Hayley being pregnant thing? A little more awkward than I thought it would be. Elijah's made it his life mission to protect the child she's carrying and Hayley's been getting herself into trouble because of the witches. Hardly anyone wants this kid to be born, save for a handful of us.

    While Klaus was...adamant...about having a kid, he did eventually warm up to the idea. He's even gone as far as to protect Hayley any time he needs to. I'm proud of him.

    Hayley's starting to show, so anytime she walks by I can hear the kid chilling in her womb. Honestly, it's a little freaky because I'm not sure the kid should be active this early? But what do I know? This is way too supernatural to be certain. Also, I know nothing about pregnancy, supernatural or not.

    But now I'm back in New Orleans! And I'm waiting outside the airport for I presume no one since there's no one here to pick me up. I know there's a lot going on but come on.

"Next time you're dying for my help, I expect a gift," I snap again before ending the voicemail. Bastard, I curse as other airline patrons wait on the curb beside me.

    I guess I need to call a car.

    Before I can do that, an expensive-looking convertible pulls up beside me.

    Rebekah lifts her sunglasses before smiling at me. "Need a lift?" she teases, making me roll my eyes.

    "I was starting to wonder if anyone cared," I admit, as I put my suitcase in the trunk. Rebekah reaches over the center console to open my door for me.

    "You think we'd just abandon you?" she questions as I slide into my seat. "We're not the Salvatores." I roll my eyes at the comment before slamming the car door close. "Besides, a girl shouldn't feel abandoned on her birthday."

    She remembered, I can't help but think. That's so sweet of her.

    "So does this mean you'll booze up Bourbon Street with me?" I tease.

    "Maybe," she grins as she pulls onto the road. "Depends how well-protected Hayley is tonight."

    "Or if Klaus has any diabolical plans to push this 'war' in his favor," I add.