Chapter Six

I never imagined myself on a college campus. Sure, I'd visit my sister and my friends, but that's it. I didn't know what I wanted for myself when I was human. I didn't give myself time to think about college or a career. Hell, after I was turned, I didn't even think about graduating high school. There was always something more important to focus on.

    But Elena, she has dreams. She has the aspirations and the wants and the desire to become a doctor. Despite her immortality, she's continuing the path she wanted.

    I respect her for that.

    I respect and care for her enough to bring her coffee when I stop by the college campus for my first visit.

    "Surprise!" I greet with the two coffee cups, making her look up from her journal. Elena rolls her eyes at my tone before patting the spot beside her on the bench.

    "I asked you to visit," she remarks as she takes her coffee from my hand. "But the coffee is much appreciated."

    "I'm sure," I sigh before taking a sip of my coffee. I lean back against the bench. "So, why'd you summon me?"

She shrugs. "I figured I could show you around the campus. Maybe you can sit in during a class?"

I raise my brow. "I come here, no questions asked, for a campus tour?" I let out a sigh of relief. "Geez, Elena, you made me think this was serious."

"I also just wanted to make sure you were feeling okay," she admits with a sad smile.

Oh. Because Bonnie's dead.

It's been four days since our tree stump funeral. While Bonnie continues to watch over us or converse with us through my brother, it's not the same. I miss her, to an extent.

That, and we lost the only witch who could help us.

"I should be asking you," I counter, "you two were always closer."

"I'm not talking about Bonnie," she says, surprising me. What else could she be talking about? "I mean, we can if you want to because it's so fresh but...Gabby I felt something the day before you came home. I felt you."

The day before I came back...?

Oh shit, I'm reminded, when Tyler bit me.

"I felt you all summer," I counter again, hopefully deflecting. "You've been worried about Stefan all summer."

"Because of the dreams Katherine and I shared," she reminds. "The dreams you didn't—" she stops herself abruptly before giving me a look. "You're deflecting."

"I'm just teasing you," I chuckle, still avoiding her implications. I take another sip of my coffee. "Relax, Lena. I'm sure you're just reflecting your worry onto me because you didn't see me all summer."

"No," she denies with a shake of her head. "No. I felt you, Gabby. You were scared and angry and..."

"And what?"

She looks down at her journal for a hesitant moment before looking me in the eye. "Hungry. It felt like I was starving. What happened in New Orleans, Gabby? What could've possibly made you so...survivalistic?"

"I don't think that's a word," I sigh, "but okay Miss Psych 101. Maybe I will join you for class if this is what you're learning."

"Gabby—" she tries to scold exasperatedly, but is immediately interrupted by some nerd dressed like an English professor.