Chapter Eleven

Something feels different when I'm stirred awake again, but I'm not sure what. The bright light above me is the same. My sister unconscious beside me? The same. Doc hovering over me, talking to his little tape recorder? Again, still the same.

    This is maybe the fifth time I've been stirred awake since that Aaron kid shot me. Each time was the same. I haven't seen Damon (or Enzo) since. Who knows how long we've been here now?

    The lab, this time, looks different. We're not at Whitmore anymore. So where are we?

    "Subject 83181 awakens first," his annoying voice speaks into the tape recorder. I glare at him, already feeling my hunger grow. "Its twin is still unconscious."

    "She or her...dumbass," I snap.

    He smirks down at me. "Subject 83181 is still talkative." He looks at my clenched fists. "Lots of anger. Personality or influence of vampirism?"

    "Both," I answer for him. God, what I would give to rip this guy's throat out with my teeth. "Where are we?"

He gives me an amused look before moving out of my sight. "Hey!" I snap, yanking against the restraints. They, unsurprisingly, don't break. It's kinda hard when I'm not at full strength. My stomach aches from hunger.

I turn my head in time to see him flicker a flashlight over my sister a few times. She stirs awake, blinking like I did.

"Subject 83182 regains consciousness approximately two minutes after its twin."

"You woke...her up," I deadpan.

    "Ga...Gabby," my sister lets out with squeezed eyes. She forces herself to blink repeatedly so her gaze can be adjusted.

    Elena looks over at me before frowning at the unfamiliar scenery. "Where...where are we?"

    "Why?" Doc questions as he moves to adjust her vervain IV. "Look familiar?"

    Should it? I turn my head, trying to find an indication of this being a place I know.

    "What is that thing?" Elena demands before thrashing against her restraints. "What are you doing to us?"

    "Just you," Doc corrects before turning on the machine beside her. Something spins as it whirs to life. "83182 commence prep for blood dialysis."

    I watch as Elena starts to freak out just before he places a mask over her mouth and nose. He counts backward until she's unconscious again. He presses a few buttons on his machine, stirring up a rather jarring noise.

    "What was the point of waking her up?" I ask.

    "She's not completely out," Doc admits before twisting one of the tubes in her arm. Her blood begins to fill up a bag. "Just subdued. You underwent the same thing moments ago."

    I let out a hum before tugging on the restraints again. "Is this a twin thing or a vampire-killing vampire thing?"

    "Both." He squeezes my vervain IV, making it very hard to keep my eyes open.

    "I'm so going to kill your when this is over," I mumble. He chuckles over me, all smug and shit.

    "I'm sure you will," he says condescendingly as my eyes slowly shut again. No, stay awake! He keeps a tight grip on the vervain bag until my eyes are closed.

————

    I'm not sure how much time has passed since we've been captured, nor of the time that's passed since I was rendered unconscious for the millionth time. What I do know is that my body aches from hunger, vervain, and immobility. This absolutely sucks.