Chapter Five

Surprisingly, I wake up alone.

Klaus isn't holding me against his chest as I expected. He isn't whispering sweet nothings in my ear. He isn't combing his fingers through my hair or caressing my side or even kissing my forehead.

I was confused for a moment because why would he leave me when he knows I'm leaving New Orleans in a few hours?

The place is eerily quiet, so I assume Klaus hasn't fetched Hayley and Elijah from the bayou like I hoped he would. Oh well. As much as I hate to say it, maybe a day in the bayou is what they deserve for not trusting Klaus's intentions.

I'll miss them, but I'm sure I'll see them soon.

For now, I'll focus on the little time I have with Klaus. I step out of our room, focusing on the only sound my ears can pick up.

He's plotting, I realize the moment I hear his paintbrush angrily slap against the canvas.

I wrap a blanket around my mostly bare body, keeping myself warm despite the summer heat. It only takes a few moments to descend the stairs and find him in what he deems to be his "temporary art space."

    The scent of blood hits me hard the moment I approach his space. I lean against the threshold, eyeing the body laying beside Klaus before I look at him.

He doesn't look at me as he slashes dark red across the canvas. I can't exactly see what he's painting, but it doesn't seem calming.

Klaus is an artist. Whether I understand his art or not doesn't matter because his art is often used as a calming device to help him think. After yesterday, I'm sure Klaus has a lot to think about.

    "Who's the blood for?" I speak up, nodding at the body. "Another gift for when Elijah comes back?"

    Klaus continues to paint, but he gives an amused smile. "I have done nothing to render Elijah's forgiveness. His mistakes will cost him."

    "Ah," I note, "so you got hungry."

    "On the contrary, I got it for you." He takes the time to toe the body with his boot. "I figured after the day you had, you'd be famished."

    I can't help but give a small smile. "Well, aren't you considerate?"

    "I figured I should treat the only person who believed my intentions." He slashes the paintbrush again, allowing splatter to fall onto the plastic-covered floor. "Despite your hallucinated-fueled hatred for me, you still stood by my side." Another slash. "You're the only one that did." He sets his paintbrush into his pain jar before finally looking at me. "And now you're leaving."

"Well," I tease, "someone has to bring Tyler back to Mystic Falls."

He doesn't acknowledge my teasing, making me sigh. The blanket shifts when I step further inside, revealing my shoulders when I tip-toe around the "gift."

"Is that why you're plotting?" I question.

"I'm tired of abiding by Elijah's caution," he admits before gesturing me to come closer. I oblige, allowing him to wrap an arm around me and pull me close. "I want my city back now."

I nod. "Then take it." I look up at him, making sure he's looking me in the eye. "But don't do anything you'll regret, alright? This...disagreement with Elijah and Hayley needs to be fixed. However you take back your home...make sure it doesn't burn too many bridges."

    Surprisingly, he smiles. "Your concern for the level of regret my actions may cause is endearing." His hand, splotched with red paint, cradles my cheek before he pulls me close. I smile into our kiss, not being able to help the small hum that escapes. He barely pulls away before whispering against my lips, "It's one of your more captivating qualities."