★ 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢

#𝟙𝟙

prompt:

✰ a/n: end of S7 also this wasn't edited due to time 

a/n: end of S7 also this wasn't edited due to time 

warning(s): mature language

✰ warning(s): mature language

☁︎︎✰☯︎︎

Jay stared hard in the mirror in front of him.

He had been through so much shit and losing his sensei was the last of it. His eyes slightly watered as he refused to blink, needing to see himself every second in the mirror without missing a single flaw. It was the first day that he decided to not slick back his hair. His hair used to be relatively short for the most part. It was easier to train with, to wear the hood of his gi, and easier to maintain. To be honest, he hated it. Sure, it had it's pros but it was not him. One day, he made a promise to himself to not cut it. That was what he did. However, he wasn't comfortable showing everyone his naturally curly hair. When it was short, it gave off the illusion that it was pin straight, like Nya's hair. In reality, it was just slightly curlier than Cole's hair.

He loved his curly hair until he got bullied when he was younger. They found more and more things to pick apart about him. He needed to fit in if he wanted to survive middle school and cutting his hair short was the only option. Some mornings he would straighten it when his hair would grow out. Ed and Edna were concerned but only supported him. It wasn't anything harmful. Edna would straighten his hair for him until he had to go get a haircut.

Now he was years into the future. He was older and more mature. Looking at his styled hair this morning was a slight shock for him. He hadn't noticed how dark his hair had gotten over the years. It used to be bright orange and now it was a dark auburn. He smiled, liking his new self. He felt secure enough that no one was going to make fun of him. His hair was wild with loose curls all over and he never felt so in love with himself. His appearance would be something he would pick apart but that morning, he couldn't stop smiling.

One thing that was stopping him was the freckles that splattered all over his cheeks and nose. They were never as dark as they were now. He gulped, grabbing the concealer he owned and put it on until he was freckle free. "One day at a time, Jay. One day at a time," he told himself.