2: THE EMERGENCY ROOM

[WARNING. THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS... cursing, sickness/disease/illness, virus, vomiting, fevers, flashbacks, depersonalization/derealization, emergency rooms, medication, and mentions of a car crash/death. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...]

[RESUMING BRYCE HANSEN POV]

I blink slowly, my surroundings coming into focus. Where... OH NO...

"No..." I whisper, pulling my legs to my chest, oblivious to the person next to me.

Well, that is until he speaks. "Bryce bro?"

"GAH!" I yell, flinching. "Oh... it's just you..."

"Just me... hmph." Bradley jokingly scoffs. "Hey, I need you up so you can drive bud to the ER... he had some sort of panic and now he's..." Brad glances behind him. "Passed out... I'm worried for my son; I think it's all my fault."

It is your fault, Brad. I'm glad you acknowledged that.
But of course I wouldn't say that since I'm so nice.

"Uh-huh..." I nod, standing to my feet and stretching. "How did he know about.." I pause before finishing my sentence, "Stella."

"I dunno, bro." Bradley shrugs, standing as well. "Maybe it has something to do with that creature thing that but him?"

"Maybe..." I furrow my eyebrows. "I wonder how it knew..."

Huh... wait a second...

"Look, Brad. I know this seems weird, and it's entirely unlike me to say this, but just listen." I begin my surreal explanation. "Maybe I'm the next one the virus wants to infect? I mean, it sounds alive from what Junior was saying. He said it was... 'scratching at his skull' so maybe it's alive? Maybe I'm the next target so it wants to weaken me first?" I shrug. "OR... it's probably not that."

"Hmmm..." Bradley squints, thinking hard before- "nah... nope! I doubt it." He shrugs, a nervous smirk on his face. "It's... probably nothing!"

Sh#t. Guess I won't get through to him in a while. He's in denial, huh. "We should still drive him to the ER," I say, my voice rising with annoyance, "Guess I'll drive being the only one who's sane around here..."

"And the dude who can drive at 4:30 am!" Brad chuckles, having not heard what I said a minute ago.

"Right..." I mumble, heading toward the door. "Let's grab a granola on the way out."

We objects don't really need to eat more than once in a 24 hour cycle. I hadn't eaten since... almost a day ago. So I should probably have something so I don't start passing out while driving. Actually... I only got maybe 2 to 4 hours of sleep tonight in total- not counting when I fainted... I'll probably pass out while driving and get into an accident. If so, then I guess siblings tend to have similar fates.

On the way out, I quickly eat a granola before tossing one to Brad. He catches it, eats it, and then dashes into the guest room for Junior. He comes back a minute later with Junior in his arms. Hope that won't get him sick.

"Hey-hey Bryce! We're ready!" He smiles, which shows even more nervousness, and fixes Junior's position in his arms. If Junior was awake, he'd be kicking and screaming right now. Hold on-

"Brad?" I ask him. "Is it possible to sleep with your eyes open? Because Junior seems to be doing it."

"I think it is, Bryce bro." Brad shrugs, then bringing Junior out to the car.

The drive passed in silence.

When we arrived at the emergency room, Brad quickly grabbed Junior and rushed inside. I rushed after him. Jeez. I get that the guy's child is sick with an unknown disease, but can't he at least WAIT a MINUTE for me?!